2 Gold Stars in One Store!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Downing

Reaction score
I was on the look-out for a couple of secondhand Squires for students when I came across a Tokai. Knowing these were something special - around these parts they were the axe of choice in the early eighties when Fender had forgotten what business they wanted to be in - I took one off the wall and treid it. There's another behind you said the owner - mmm, a nice sunburst with a near mint neck. (Where this been for 15 years?) Tried that as well.

Bad news guys there's only one on the wall now, I bought it. And I'd tried a new Fender the day before, so the old Tokai's can still beat the new Strats from Fender. The remaining one is in Stag Music in Trowbridge, UK.

the only Fenders I`ve bought in the past couple of years have been Fender Japan. Just got an Esquire from 1989, bit heavy but man does it play and sound nice. I seem to be finding some real beautiful FJ`s from the 80`s recently. Not all the ones I`ve played are keepers but many are. Have some from the 90`s too... all walnut tele, custom ordered strat, 40th anniversary strat, ExTrad strat, Buck Owens tele. My 1980`s FJ`s have full size pots and US switches and some have US pick-ups. They certainly were doing it right back then... better than the parent company say many folks.
And I won`t even go into the other makers over here that are producing some top notch guitars. I don`t see a US made Fender or Gibson in my future, unless it`s a custom shop at a price I can`t refuse... just too happy with my MIJ`s.
Also have a Tokai strat, got it used and it`s a bit beat up but another keeper.

Back