guitar cables

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonah65

Reaction score
i stood on my nice tweed cable a couple of weeks back just as i was standing up, this pulled the inner core off the connection in the jack plug.
i put it to one side and started using an old standard rubbery type cable.
i got around to repairing the tweed cable today and plugged it in, the sound from the amp was totally different, more bassy and dead sounding, so i reconnected the other cable, back to nice crisp lively sounds.
checking the cables with a multimeter, the good sounding cable had a resistance of over 10 megohms between centre and ground, whereas the tweed was only about 28k ohms.
i will check tomorrow to see if it's the cable or the plugs, by taking the cables apart again, bet it's the plugs.
worth checking your own, it makes a hell of a difference.

That low? 28kOhms would really load your pickups. Are you sure it's not the cable's capacitance that your meter is reading and displaying as a sort-of-resistance?

For sure, old cables - especially long ones - had significant capacitance per metre and this acts as a treble cut. Some people like this. :)

hi ampmaker, yea, i wouldn't personally have thought an insulation reading
of 28k would have made so much difference.
the main reason i mentioned it, we all come on here and discuss various
pickups and how bad some sound flat/flabby, when a decent guitar cable could maybe make all the difference.
i can imagine 1000's of bedroom guitarists around the world not realising how much better their gear would sound just with a better cable.
go on everyone check your cables out. :)

Back