Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fenderized Tokai Breezysound
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pukka-J
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Fenderized Tokai Breezysound Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

my first post on this forum. I'm a regular on TDPRI, but since I am probably going to buy a Tokai Breezy tonight I supposed it would be a good idea to register here as well.

I have some questions regarding the guitar however. First some pics (in a link, unfortunately, since the dutch Craigslist, Marktplaats.nl does not permit the downloading of pictures): http://link.marktplaats.nl/597788612

As you can see it is a fenderized Breezy, supposedly from 1981, according to the seller. Fender neckplate, Fender decal and Fender bridge.
The seller still has the original Tokai bridge, so I will get that too. The neckplate may be gone.
I am from 1970 myself, but 1981 is the year in which I started playing guitar, so that's rather nice

It should be either a TE70 or TE80 if I'm right. Or a Te-50? Question: how can I know? And how would I know if it really is from 1981. And how can I distinguish Ash and Alder on this guitar?

I know these guitars are highly regarded. Is that also true for the electronics? I read that TE70 and 80 have custom dimarzio's or so?

Tnx in advance!

Last edited by Pukka-J on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this one on Marktplaats too.
There's no way to date this guitar with this info other than looking at the neck; the 12 fret markers are too wide and the string tree is in the wrong position, an indication of a later model or a non original neck. If I were you I would like to see the Tokai code stamp on the butt of the neck and while you're at it the body stamp too. Blonde and sunburst finishes usually have sen ash bodies. It's either a 50 or an 80, 50 = multiple piece body, 80 = 1 piece.
Pukka-J
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacco, thanks for the update!

Since it will be a player I will buy it if it feels and sound right, no matter what brand or year, but it still intigues me.

If bough I will certainly look at the body cavities and the butt of the neck.
Also the original bridge might give a clue (if it really is the original bridge, that is).
I believe a 50 has a 6 barrel bridge vs the 3 barrels of an 80?
Len
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TE50 pickups will also be stamped TEB on the bobbins.
Higher model pickups TE80 and above have TEA stamps.

There are also TE80s and above with six saddle bridges, but usually they have gold finish then. standard TE80 would be 3 saddle.
Chrome 6saddle = TE50 in your case Do a search on the forum or google for TE50 pictures, you?ll see what the bridge should look like
Pukka-J
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the info. I'll get back on this and post pics of everything.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually own a 1981 TE-50, great guitar!
frederikb
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TE80 (from 80 or 81) has a center seamed two-piece body...

I believe its nitro...checking has begun so check for that

Amazing guitar!
Pukka-J
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, tonight I came home with the guitar. It looks, sounds and plays wonderful. The original neckplate was gone, but the original bridge is still here. It is a six saddle chrome bridge. That would make it a TE50 I guess?

I took off the neck and it said '10-7' on the butt. Don't know what that means though. There was also some Japanese sign that looks like a little stick man
I tried to peek in the neck pickup cavity, but the pickup screws were completely gone. I'll try to take them out with a pair of pliers and replace them with new screws.

The guitar has no routing from the neck cavity to the control cavity like my Baja has. I could almost do without the pick guard, were it not for the discoloration and the screw holes.

There is a stamp in the control cavity that says '7=9 BL' followed by a 'Z' (or an N).

The neck is a one piece maple neck that has some birds eye in it, very nice. It is rather chunky, but not as much as my Baja. I like it that way!

It sounds very smooth, the attack seems less clear compared to the Baja, but very nice and mellow. The bridge is bright and twangy,more tele-ish than the Baja

I'll post some pictures later this week.
Len
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TE50 then!
The BL in the cavity stands for blonde - so original colour
TE50 necks are nice but I think they are not chunky at all in the cowboy chord area!

Original pickups ?

waiting for pics
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederikb wrote:
My TE80 (from 80 or 81) has a center seamed two-piece body...

I believe its nitro...checking has begun so check for that

Amazing guitar!

Would love to see pics of that one too then!
Pukka-J
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yesterday I picked up a 1981 Tokai Breezysound. It appears to be a TE50 model.
The seller knew the original owner and remembered when the guitar was bought. He states that the guitar is all original, except for the Fender parts.
He also remembers the original owner putting the new decal on, which he at the time found rather silly.

Fender neckplate, Fender bridge and Fender decal. The neck is one piece maple, very smooth, nice and chunky with some nice birds eye in it.
The body is lighter than my Baja and very resonant.

The previous owner installed a treble bleed that's quite extreme to my ears: when turning down the volume I don't lose highs alright, but I do lose body.

The neck pickup screws are hard to get out, I can't get a grip on them with my screwdriver, so I have to replace them.
Once I did that I can peak underneath the pickup and see what's there.
As for sound: the bridge is all you can expect from a tele, even more so than my Baja. The neck sounds mellow and has lower output. Once I replaced the screws I can tinker with the height a little.
We'll see, I might put some nice pickup in there (suggestions for a nice, warm sound?)

All in all the guitar is in nice condition for its age.

Here some pics:

jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, this is mine

bluesyrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW... Nice Supro, Jacco!!!!
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks B, very nice amp indeed, 1967 model, 17W, 6973 tubes, 2 x 10' Jensen speakers, similar set up like the 1624T Jimmy Page allegedly used.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Supro is badass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: