Anyone know what year this guitar might be?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
Anyone know what year this guitar might be?
I was told '77
any help would be appreciated.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/5487157707cdae11920b.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/frontpb.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/burnyflg90.jpg/

That's Slapshots Burny.
Looking at the routing it's period correct, Terada made. Also the finish looks like the VOSB only used pre 1980. I thought he had refinished it but I may be wrong. It will have a serial number on the back of the headstock if it's from 1977 starting with Y7 or W7.

Thanks 8)
Looking to buy? It's in Australia, right?
It has a heelcap btw, not that it would bother me.

The World is a small place Jacco. This guitar made its way to Canada and I am the proud owner of it. All the hardware, pickups and electronics were removed. Got this for really really cheap.

Phantom

I'm gonna try to put it back together, looks like it may be a heavy one though, but who knows still might sound good. It was almost 8 lbs with no hardware.

Phantom

Jacco is there any way to confirm whether this guitar is a 90 or a 120 etc?

Phantom

Hey Micj no tuning keys when I got it
various holes in the back looks like heads were changed several times
Yes this guitar has been through lot but lets see how it goes getting it together

Both the 90 and 120 have the same finish and tuners, so that's no way to distinguish them. I do not understand the Japanese text in the catalogs well enough to get the exact specs. It is Terada made and if we draw a parallel to 1980/81 Terada Burny's both should have a 1P back. If it doesn't I'm inclined to think it's more likely a 90.

ah cool last i heard you were going to paint over that giga unique factory finish
i'll publicly apologise here for any and all misinformation I may have given you during the course of ripping you off trying to make a sale.
but you understand right?it's all in the game yo

Phantom said:
Hey Micj no tuning keys when I got it
various holes in the back looks like heads were changed several times
Yes this guitar has been through lot but lets see how it goes getting it together
really?
tuners were originally grovers (only certain models had grovers).can't find a pic through my thousands of unorganised notes of the headstock with no tuners perhaps you could furnish us with one?From memory I saw 1 hole?
don't think there was any swapsies

i hate grovers though.

Burny%2525201977%252520FLG-90%252520-%25252007.jpg

if you wanna split hairs you could also say by catalogue factory appearance the 90 had no pick guard and the 120 had a pick guard .
seeing as how there is holes there ...

slapshot said:
tuners were originally grovers (only certain models had grovers).

if you wanna split hairs you could also say by catalogue factory appearance the 90 had no pick guard and the 120 had a pick guard .
seeing as how there is holes there ...

Which models had Grovers Slap?

Good point, but no pickguard holes would be more of a marker wouldn't it. As our friend Udonitron always says: a pickguard could have been added later.

Slapshot do me a favour if your gonna attack someone re a guitar you sold them, attack the right person. I never purchased this guitar from you so right now I haven't got a clue what your talking about.

Phantom said:
Slapshot do me a favour if your gonna attack someone re a guitar you sold them, attack the right person. I never purchased this guitar from you so right now I haven't got a clue what your talking about.

Whaat! He didn't sell to you? That's funny and.. apologies are in place I guess.

I found another 1977 catalog btw. The specs are very general on both 90 & 120, like; fingerboard: rosewood, back; mahogany.

No he did not, I have no clue who this guy is.

Jacco does the fact that it's a 3 piece back make it a 90?

Phantom

Back