Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If valued at less than $100 - ha-ha - 4.5 % of valuation plus shipping.
If valued at greater than $100, 8.7 % of valuation plus shipping.

Appears to be somewhat hit-and-miss, depending in part on entry point in the US where Customs inspects it.

You're in Iowa, like me, so that is Chicago. They like to assess more often than some other ports of entry. Out of a dozen of so instruments, I've only been assessed on two - the least and one of the most expensive. Go figure.

Best of luck to you.

I always thought they just pulled a number out of the air on the ones they tagged?

so sometimes you do get charged and sometimes you dont? or sometimes just asses the items value and then bend you over

If customs fees are assessed, they have always been 8.5 % of the declared value plus shipping cost. However, only two of the guitars I have received from out-of-US sellers have, in fact, been assessed.

I would never ask a seller to declare a low value, so the fees can hurt. But, that factors into the selling price when I'm looking at the guitar. I always assume that customs fees will be charged, and am pleasantly surprised when they are not.

It'***** and miss here in the States as far as customs charges. Of the many I've bought from Japan, I've only been tagged once. Mine have all cleared Customs in San Francisco - then on to Dallas.

4.5~8.7%!?!?!?! Sweet mother!!! Anything over 150,000 won (about $125 USD nowadays) to Korea gets dinged for 20%!!! So it's actually cheaper for me to just fly over to Tokyo for the day if I want to do some shopping and plan to buy something a bit pricey.

For example in January I went and bought my Bacchus strat and Edwards JP. If I ordered from Japan, I'd have had to pay over $300 USD in duties. Instead, I used some airmiles, got a free ticket, and picked them up.

By the way, saw someone posting about an ES-339. Any MIJ copies of these?

Jason

Big Willie Style said:
4.5~8.7%!?!?!?! Sweet mother!!! Anything over 150,000 won (about $125 USD nowadays) to Korea gets dinged for 20%!!! So it's actually cheaper for me to just fly over to Tokyo for the day if I want to do some shopping and plan to buy something a bit pricey.

For example in January I went and bought my Bacchus strat and Edwards JP. If I ordered from Japan, I'd have had to pay over $300 USD in duties. Instead, I used some airmiles, got a free ticket, and picked them up.

Jason

What are you crying for? :wink:

In Sweden it works like this:

First they apply about 5% (import tax) and then on top of that they add 25% VAT.

In Holland:
2% importtax on price paid + shipping
19% VAT on total of importtax, price paid & shipping
?17.50 flat fee for Dutch Postal Services

Big Willie Style said:

Jason

I only know the Ibanez Artist Stagemaster range, but I think they were the first scaled down 335, so not really a copy. A mate of mine has the AM205, the stunning top and back are burl mahogany.

am205av-paolo-01.jpg

jacco said:
In Holland:

But from the other perspective: we get free healthcare.............................NOT :D

Our governments are dangning us hard in the bottom

I hate EU. Psycho project costing the Swedish tax payers more than we get back, but it must be a great deal for Bulgaria and the other "not-yet-so-developed" countries. Perhaps time to be an expat again

Koubayashi said:
jacco said:
In Holland:

But from the other perspective: we get free healthcare.............................NOT :D

Our governments are dangning us hard in the bottom

I hate EU. Psycho project costing the Swedish tax payers more than we get back, but it must be a great deal for Bulgaria and the other "not-yet-so-developed" countries. Perhaps time to be an expat again

On the other hand: today I heard the results of the big european happiness study. So researched was which european country scores highest on inhabitants feeling happy. It was 1. Denmark 2. Sweden 3. Holland.
And the study showed that the predominant factor for happiness was a good functioning government. So we must be doing something right :eek:

Big Willie Style said:

In around 1981 or so Ibanez made a series of guitars called Artist with model numbers starting with AM. The AM-50 or AM-205 would probably be a great stand-in for a small body 335 type. The ones I've played sound and play quite nicely.

jacco said:
And the study showed that the predominant factor for happiness was a good functioning government. So we must be doing something right :eek:

In that case, we're screwed in the UK.....

:-?

Mike

stratman323 said:
jacco said:

In that case, we're screwed in the UK.....

:-?

Mike

I lived in the UK (London) in my early 20s.

Living standard was very poor compared to both Japan and Sweden.
Only the upper classes had a reasonable living standard I think.

You guys need politicians who refuse to be Americas ***** (yes, in the rest of the EU you guys are called Americas ***** :D ).

But I had a good time in England or I wouldn't have stayed for about two years :wink:

Koubayashi said:
I lived in the UK (London) in my early 20s.

Living standard was very poor compared to both Japan and Sweden.
Only the upper classes had a reasonable living standard I think.

Well now we have public school boys running things, that will only get worse.

:evil:

Back