Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who here is a Greco collector?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Who here is a Greco collector? Reply with quote

Anyone here a Greco freak? I ask because I have come across two fine examples here in the U.S. at very reasonable price's! One is an 82' Black Beauty three pup Custom and an 83' Flying V black with white gaurd very Schenker looking If anyone is interested e-mail me directly and I will reveal all. They aint mine, I have no intrest in the sale of these , I just know where they are and want to help a brother out! My toy box is overflowing according to Mrs TG, so I'm not going to push anything at the moment! But she misses my 66' Tennasean I sold 2 years ago and wishes I still had it! So as you can see I got a whole other plan on the drawing board TG
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three late 70`s strats that are very nice. I like old Grecos and was turned onto them after reading about them on other sites by Japanese guys... they are sought after here in Japan. Evidently 70`s and early 80`s are the ones people want . The high end models are very good quality.They usually don`t last long when they show up used. My 3 are made of sen wood.
Heres my latest...
http://www.rivuletguitar.com/electricguitars/others/othersstock033/electricorhersstock033.html
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty! I only have one Greco that I found in Ocala Florida at a small town pawn shop, I love it! A quality strat that I bought for near nothing! The more I think about the Black Beauty with the 3 pup's the more the wheels in my head grind away. At $599 US I might have to jump on it! I have some $ stashed for just such an opportunity The V is going for $550 TG
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... you can see the seam on the upper bout, it`s a 2 piece body. I`ve seen some SE-800`s made of one piece. Not sure if will be able to see the pics here but give it a try...
http://teaser.fc2web.com/framepage.htm
some really nice pics of older MIJ`s.
You can get the year of manufacture from the serial number, generally the first 2 digits are the year. Mid to late 70`s early 80`s are outstanding. Have never seen an earlier model so I can`t speak of the quality of those.
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have an Greco 81' SG Special that I got from Andrew Mechling. It's a killer guitar and such an accurate replica of a 63'-64'. It has a 2 piece body but it make no difference, this thing rocks. Light too.

Greco' replicas are so underated and originally came from the Ibanez factory I believe. I've had several players try and grab her from me lately.

Sneaky,

Didn't they also do a LS200 type Les Paul with a one piece back and neck and a 2 piece solid flame top? You see a lot of the laminate top 2 piece back versions on ebay but not the high end model.

I also had a Burny 58' Les Paul Special that was killer and so accurate that if you covered the logo's you could hardly tell them apart. It was wrenched off me by a local Japanese guitar poacher!
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they made a high end model, the 1200 I think. It is as you described and these days, a mint version sells for more than it did new . They appear on the Japanese auction site I hang at occasionally. Old Burnys are real nice as well... there certainly was something special going on back then with MIJ`s.
heres a nice one though the color looks a bit off in the pic...

http://www.digimart.net/gk_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00016442
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Does that one have a solid 2 piece top and back or are there any laminations going on?

Looks like a 17/18 degree headstock angle too?
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know the 900 series has one piece back and maple cap, not veneer. The higher series has more flame and / or other p`ups.
carlovee
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a big fan of Greco's. I currently have a 70's Tele replica (made in 1980) that I picked up for just $235 on ebay. Of course there was a $110 shipping charge but still a bargain. I A/B'ed in with my new '02 US Fender tele and sold the Fender tele the next week.

I used to have a '78 SA-900, which is Greco's ES-335 copy. Verrrrry nice guitar. Talk about mojo...Unfortunately, I decided that the 335 guitars just wasn't my style so I sold it. I'll probably regret that one.

I also have a '89 LP Custom 3 pickup model. Just picked this one up. I have to say that the quality, fit, and finish is not as good as my older Greco's. Here's a pic...
http://www.astro.cornell.edu/~shannon/lp3body.jpg
I really feel that there was a period, say '77-'83, that was a golden era of Japanese guitar craftsmanship. This holds true with the Tokai's I've owned as well.

That '82 Black Beauty would be very tempting but right now I'm broke as a joke.

I've searched high and low for Greco info and let me tell you there not much out there. Here's one link I've found of the full '81 Catalog that will get your mouth watering...
http://psyco.jp/greco/cata13.html
...Wish I knew japanese.

cheers,
T. aka Carlovee
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a place with lots of info about Matsumoku... think i spelled that right... look around the site, theres tons of stuff to see.
http://www.therathole.org/guitars/guitarlist.html
Micky Mojo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703769293&category=47072&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Recently won fella on flea-bay and I have to say it looks even better in real life.
doombuggy
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Memphis??? ES335 information??? Reply with quote

I have a Greco, SG standard, LP Custom, LP Jr TV dbl. cut....and a Burny LP Custom and a LP Standard...
I got rid of most of my Gibson and replaced them with these....

I would like to find a Greco Rickenbacker 12 and a Greco Gretsch 6120 copies but I heard these are pretty rare and lots of $$$...
Ive been also looking for a SG special with p-90s but havent had any luck tracking one down.

does anyone know a good vintage greco/burny dealer in Japan, besides the sellers on Ebay?

I just won a black Memphis late 60s style 335 that appears to be made by the same folks that make Tokai, burny or Greco ??
not sure?
the quality is pretty close to my Grecos and Burnys...
Has a Gibson style truss rod system. with a glued in neck.

The only thing that is wrong is the headstock its more Gretschish, like the newer Tokais....
Anybody seen these or have information?
prince bishop
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.firstmail.com/guitars/bookmark.htm
Hi Doombuggy, have a look at these Japanese outlets,you may find something.I can recommend TC Gakki.
Hope it's useful

pb
Winnie Thomas
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Greco '59 ES 335 clone Reply with quote

I have a Greco with no label inside, no serial #. It has the open book headstock with the later Greco inlay instead of the Gibson Flower pot. It is a dead ringer for a '59 ES335, right down to the long pickguard. Aged hardware, one piece neck, incredible player, wonderful tone. (does it sound like I like it?)

Winnie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldflame wrote:

Greco' replicas are so underated and originally came from the Ibanez factory I believe. I've had several players try and grab her from me lately.

To my understanding
Greco was Fuji Gen Gakkis' own brand of guitar.
Fuji Gen Gakki also built guitars for Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender Japan,
Gibson (Orville, Orville by Gibson, Epiphone Japan, Epiphone Elite), Burny/Fernandes, as well as countless others.

So, I find it ironic when you see Orvilles go for $800 and more, but a identical Greco only catch around $400.
If you truelly must have the Gibson connection go Orville. Otherwise save a few bucks and buy the Greco.

Kent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: