Correct string gauge ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
labbi said:
I read somewhere that some shredders use super- glue to repair their fingertips during gigs in the event they are shredding their fingers instead of their strings.. :lol: I think the article was on this guy Steve Vai.. maybe a good tip when moving to heavier strings..

Super glue's for sissies:

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/cms/2004/other/pete_townshend_rs_958_170.6478946.jpg

stratman323 said:
Exactly, which is why all technique and no feel can so easily sound cold & clinical. But lots of feel & limited technique can still sound vey moving - listen to Lightnin' Hopkins.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

:wink:

agreed. but there's no need to pick between the two... but certainly if i *had* to pick, i'd go with feel.

JohnA said:
This old debate again. technique and feel are not mutually exclusive, there are plenty of players with both.

agreed.

JohnA said:
if you play a lot of legato 11's and a high action just isn't an option.

Uh... lots of people use legato on traditionally strung acoustic guitars - I really don't understand how heavy strings get in the way of it.

I can appreciate that light strings enable a low action for very fast playing and big bends (I can barely do 1.5 steps with my .011s).

Rustyslide said:
(I can barely do 1.5 steps with my .011s).

Yes.. I was practising bends, legatos and vibrato all evening and some of the night. Today I have blisters on 1,2, and 3 finger.
I use 11?s because they sound good, and they don?t break too often. But man.. they do put some wear on my fingers..

marcusnieman said:
labbi said:
I read somewhere that some shredders use super- glue to repair their fingertips during gigs in the event they are shredding their fingers instead of their strings.. :lol: I think the article was on this guy Steve Vai.. maybe a good tip when moving to heavier strings..

Super glue's for sissies:

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/cms/2004/other/pete_townshend_rs_958_170.6478946.jpg

No, death metal is for sissies !
Ha ! Pete was a real tough cookie. I tried superglue once.. it feels odd, like your fingertips are made of acrylic or something.. :-?

Back