ATTENTION Springy, Breezy and Silverstar owners

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK well here's mine. I bought it from a guy who had 2 Springys, both in black, one with rosewood and one with maple (mine) and I would not be surprised at all if the necks and bodies got swapped around at some point. But I guess that's always true with guitars that are 30 years old, you just never know what is original and what's not.

My neck is peculiar. It says 2=2A, but the second 2 is crossed out and handwritten above in pen it says 2=3A(!)

Body says 2=3BB A Y

When I bought the guitar, the pickups in it were U, but the ones in it now are E (I changed them myself). BUT, the paint is definitely nitro (did the acetone test) AND the '80' sticker is still intact on the neck heel. Body is Sen. Methinks it is strange that this Springy was an ST-80 with U pickups, but if Tokai was anything like the real Fender, anything is possible!! :lol:

Neck and board are maple, but as I said, who knows if the other guy may have swapped between his two otherwise identical springys

I don't know where to find the serial number on the guitar, I'm not sure where you guys are getting yours, but my guitar DID come with some hang tags in the case pocket!!

On the hang tags is model number ST-80BBR, serial number 1013561

I would assume this is probably the serial number for the rosewood board guitar, since it says "BBR" on it.

Since the body says "BB" and not "BBR," I'd assume the body and neck probably belong together.

There is only a 4-digit number on the neckplate, 0173. I'd assume this is not a real serial number.

Hope that helps in some way!!

hi got some incomplete information-

Black Breezysound te50 1984

Bodystamp = pencil scrawl no.7?,
Serial number L19744,
Neck stamp 2=11,
Bridge pup te8, neck te5,
Neck maple/roseboard.

Silverstar Natural ss85

Bodystamp, 5=8na
Serial no., 0009492
Neck stamp, havent removed neck.
Pickups, unmarked
Neck, all maple.
The silverstar was posted on here so you may have that info.
regards

Black Breezy Sound, TE50?, 1981?

Serial : 11486
Neck stamp : 1=9
Body stamp : 1=9 BB Z (or2?)
Bridge pickup : TEB
Neck pickup : missing
Neck : Maple Skunk Spag logo but behind the string retainer
Colour: Black (white guard, 5 screws)
Neck pocket : Jap scribbling like on the pic...

Picture020a.jpg

Thanks for contributing, guys - i'll try and answer some of the queries...
ROB - Black Breezysound = 1982 TE-50 - 5 digit number with spaghetti logo can only be 1982.

BRAD347 - Black springys - Maple neck is 1982, Rosewood is 1981 - 4 digit serial# is correct for ST-80 from 1982, 7 digit is correct for 1981 - Your body and neck are matched (2=3A) but i would think the previous owner swapped the pickups from E to U, the scratchplate should be singleply w' 8 screws.
Both bodies would be 'BB' as the neck was not indicated in the painting process

regards
Peter Mac

Back