What happened to the rosewood in 2008?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudu

Reaction score
Having seen a few 2008-born MIJ guitars, I couldn't help noticing how the fingerboards were much drier and harder to play on than on previously made ones. Anybody else noticing the same thing? Somehow, the rosewood that was used until a few years ago felt much smoother, looked a lot shinier and sounded a lot better. Any insight? I know there's a shortage of good tone wood, but this is getting weird.

I think that the rosewood Tokai used back in the 80s was particularly good. Even a standard Goldstar ST50 probably has the sort of rosewood board that you would be delighted to get on, say, a Custom Shop Strat today.

Mike

i think my edwards LP copy was 2007- i assume so anyway, i had to wait for it to come from the factory as ishibashi didn't have any in stock. the rosewood on it is pretty nice. not amazingly nice, but certainly pretty nice. nicer than i've tried on a couple of recent (non-CS) gibsons, anyway.

not sure if i've tried any 2008 MIJs yet... the biggest local dealer seems to be increasing its ratio of korean/chinese ones to the MIJ ones, with the result that the few MIJ ones they have left are almost at roof level, and i don't have the neck on me to ask them to take them down... :lol:

p1050634ko2.jpg

This one here is a LC80, not sure which year but bought it 2 years back.

Sold it 1 year ago, I couldn't get use to the rosewood being so light coloured, I've tried a Burny LP made in the 80's and hell they sure look much darker, look more closer to brazillian wood.

Actually Brazillian isn't that dark, usually it has a beautiful grain and is dark and light, thats what makes it attractive. Its quite easy to change the colour of your fretboard, like any other just stain it. Even after oiling and playing for a while will darken the board.

Mick

Hi !!

I've bought two BACCHUS guitar (Duke and Standard)in 2008 and the fingerboard is made of madagascar rosewood...This wood seems to be used a lot on the guitars from BACCHUS and the new TOKAI Love Rock series. The grain is a dark brown.

Max.

Hey mhoyoux, I accidentally sent you a message on the MLP forum :) Could you please post some closeup pics of the said fretboards? Thanks!

Back