New Edwards LPs - worth the money?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drewman68 said:
From what I've read, I thought that these new Tokais were slightly better than the Edwards 130. But you guys think the opposite? that the Edwards 130 is better than the LS-75/85/90/100?

That's a very loaded question. Better how? Construction, components, weight, etc? I'd put the Edwards 130 up against any of those Tokai models.

Or does it sound better, feel better, play better? That's totally your call.

I have an Edwards Jimmy Page model and it's my go to humbucker Les Paul - I also have a minty Tokai LP Reborn LS60 that for the most part, stays in storage.

The Edwards Les Pauls have a long-tenon neck joint, the Tokai LS-75/85/90/100 models don't. The Edwards LT series have a nitro finish, the Tokai's don't. The Edwards 130 has long-tenon, nitro, antiquities and high quality pots/caps, the Tokais don't. I've also heard that the Edwards have 1-piece backs, the Tokais generally have a 2-piece.

So, purely in terms of specifications, the Edwards 130 is far superior to the TokaiLS-75/85/90/100 models. You'd need to look at an LS-150 to match it on specs alone.

The lower-end Tokais are kick-a$$ guitars though, don't get me wrong.

There is also the ls 135 Tokai, same price range as the Edwards 130 and it also has a long tenon neck joint and lacquer finish. The Edwards is NOT a full lacquer finish only the top is. The Tokai will hold its value better than the Edwards in my opinion and the Tokai is all made in Japan where as the Edwards is all Machined in China and assembled in Japan. The LS 135 has quality electronics and also has the Aluminium tailpice.

Mick

I'm pretty sure the ls-135 is what the ls-150 was called before a recent price increase, 135 is no longer listed on the Tokai Website.

How about a Burny RLG-105? Looks awesome too:

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00215582

I have both the latest Japanese catalogues for ESP and Tokai right in front of me now and i can absolutely guarantee there is a ls 135 in it, there are different catalogues for most countries so i always get mine sent over from Japan.. The 135 is a flame maple laminate over a 2 piece maple top just like the Edwards, the 150 is now a plain 2 piece maple top.

Mick

Sorry Mick, you are correct :oops:

I'm still pretty sure that the ls-150 used to be called ls-135 though. If you go to the ls-150 page on the Tokai site, the page Title shows as ls135:

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/premium/ls/ls150/ls150.html

**** Tokai and their confusing naming system! :lol:

leadguitar_323 said:
The Edwards is NOT a full lacquer finish only the top is.
Mick

I don't know about that Mick. My Edwards Jimmy Page is all nitro...did an acetone test on the edge of the pickup cavity. Besides, looking at the finish in the pics of it below, I don't see how there could be a poly undercoat on it thin enough to allow the nitro to sink into the grain as it does (one piece back confirmed too along with stunning flame tops):

CIMG0367-1.jpg

CIMG0354-1.jpg

CIMG0362-1.jpg

CIMG0432-1.jpg

CIMG0346-1.jpg

Hi Marcus, that is what it says in the catalogue, if it helps the poly finish on my ST-70 is so thin it has sunk into the grain and i was sure it was nitro, but after talking to my friend in Japan, he told me it was very thin poly with no filler. BTW that is a nice looking guitar.. :wink:

Mick

Ok just received a reply and it says, E-LP130 and E-LP112RE = ALL lacquer, the page relic is all lacquer as well... :wink: The "lacquer taste" models are lacquer top only.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Ok just received a reply and it says, E-LP130 and E-LP112RE = ALL lacquer, the page relic is all lacquer as well... :wink: The "lacquer taste" models are lacquer top only.

Mick

Cool...thanks for taking the time to confirm that Mick. Appreciate it. :wink:

drewman68 said:
I've been looking into Edwards vs Tokai for a while. I'm basically looking at the Edwards LTS-130 model only. (which is their high end model). I just don't like the pickups in their LP-98, LP-92 guitars which are SD JB/59. In the 130, as you said, they are SD Antiquity which are supposed to be very good.

i'd have gone with the 130 model too if it hadn't been a relic... i can't stand relics! :lol: if they'd done a non-relic version, i'd have been all over that (not much a fan of the JB/59 either, plus better quality caps/electronics and all nitro would have been cool). :)

Dave_Mc said:
drewman68 said:
I've been looking into Edwards vs Tokai for a while. I'm basically looking at the Edwards LTS-130 model only. (which is their high end model). I just don't like the pickups in their LP-98, LP-92 guitars which are SD JB/59. In the 130, as you said, they are SD Antiquity which are supposed to be very good.

i'd have gone with the 130 model too if it hadn't been a relic... i can't stand relics! :lol: if they'd done a non-relic version, i'd have been all over that (not much a fan of the JB/59 either, plus better quality caps/electronics and all nitro would have been cool). :)

It's a real light relic job....doesn't look that bad. I like them because they take away the trauma of putting that first gash it - down to the bare wood.

yeah, i know. it's just the psychological thing... i'm pretty careful with my guitars, and i don't currently gig or anything, so it's not like i'd be doing even a light relic job on any guitar i have...

:)

EDWARDS was made with TOKAI and TERADA before.
(There was Edwards made with Tokai and Terada before)
It was produced in " ESP SADO" first.

Present EDWARDS and first "Sado" think me to be high Quality.

100% Japanese makes TOKAI.
ESP has Seymour Duncan in affiliation.
The technology of the guitar of ESP is wonderful.

I think that the quality of both companies is equal in the case of the same price.

Recommendation of EDWARDS
E-LP112RE (JP)
E-LP130 RE

Could anyone help me compare, roughly, the Edwards LP-92CD and the Tokai LS-85..?

I mean besides the cosmetics.
I can get the Edwards for ?200 less, but I can also afford the Tokai...I want to make THE right choice and get a Les Paul I can keep and enjoy for a long time...

Here's what I got so far:

Ed's got Ebony board
Ed's got all Gotoh hardware (not sure about the Tokai)
Ed's coming with a hardshell case (not the Tokais, or at least not for an extra ?50...)

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-92CD.html
vs
http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/inde...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

Back