tokai ls90 on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewman68

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post after lurking for a while.
I spotted this LS90 on ebay and wondered what people thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-Vintage-S...4930825QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

The price seems to be what they go for new in Japan. From the pictures it looks like a brand new guitar but the fretboard looks very dry. It doesn't shine like other Les Pauls I've looked at. Is this just a matter of putting some oil on the fretboard?

Thanks,

Andrew

It's a 2008 one.

The fretboard looks pretty normal to me. It may just be a case of looking "washed out" under the flash.

They will go a bit darker with some Lemon Oil (Mine has, as in the pics), but don't go mental and saturate it, will you?

All that puts me off it is the very plain top. I like a bit of figuring personally.

Bear in mind though that you'll have to pay import duty, etc. so it may not be quite such a bargain when it actually arrives (Although I don't know where you are, so local taxes may vary). You'll need to reckon on the cost of a case as well of course.

Overall? It's quite nice, and a fair price, but I'd hold out for a prettier one personally (Just my opinion).

Here's my one. It cost me ?330 used on Ebay:

(About halfway down page one)

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11668

That's a very nice guitar you have there =)

I think the plain top doesn't bother me too much, but how concerned should I be that the seller seems to be relatively new and only has 23 feedback?

Also, this may not be the right forum to ask this, but how is the consistency/build quality of these new Tokais? I know Edwards is supposed to be very consistent.

I'm basically trying to decide between a new Edwards 130 LTS and a Tokai Ls75/85/90 etc. I'm leaning towards the Tokai because it's a bit cheaper.

Thanks.

I think generally, if they are made in Japan then they are of sound build quality, Tokai have a reputation to live up too and guard this proudly, and is probably the reason they build Fender japan, schecter, greco zematis and other high end guitars....

Mick

Thanks! :D

My Tokai would be an LS75 (Or an LS85 now) and as I say, it cost me ?330 including a case. I spent probably another ?40 on the truss rod cover, Grover tuners and new strings, so I reckon that's a total of ?370.

There are bargains to be had out there if you wait around long enough and have a good idea of what you're after.

A friend of mine has an Edwards LP Custom, and while it's a lovely guitar, I must admit it doesn't feel as solid as my Tokai.

Personally I'd have the Tokai, but then what else would you expect from a member of a Tokai forum? :wink:

The Edwards would still be a good bet though, and I don't honestly think you'd be disappointed with either. I guess it boils down to personal preference.

Good luck with your decision!

Back