Identification of 1977 Strats...Visual diff between grades??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintMIJLover

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for a Greco Strat... I found one that is a 77 and I don't know the grade... it has a natural finish so I can easily see the wood, and grain...
How would I get a clue to its grade or model number merely by looking at it? Are there differentiating visuals??

Its a beauty strat, and I will likely buy it regardless... but I would like to know what it is before I buy it...
I would ask the seller but its in Japan, as am I, and I am not sure I can make my intention properly known... my japanese kanji is pretty limited.

Thanks for your help!! I appreciate it!

matt. :D

This one is an SE-800, this is a reasonably high model and made around the same time as the one you are looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Greco-1976-SE800-ST-Natural-50s-RI-MIJ-w-Duncan-JB-Jrs_W0QQitemZ360063981565QQihZ023QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mick

thanks for the info... but that one on ebay has only two knobs...

the one i am looking at also doesn't have the skunk stripe on the back of the neck...

Looks like it has two string trees, larger head, and I think a two piece body.. finished in a natural finish.
It has three control knobs, and I think it is a two piece body.. likely ash or sen... hard for me to tell.

Ad says it has a specially ordered maple neck... but I have no idea whether that is true... and its a nice guitar all around...

Maybe a SE 700....

any thoughts?

thanks again..
matt.

hi
try looking at this link ..... it is greco catalog ....... maybe you can find your guitar here
http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://psyco.jp/greco/cata.html&prev=/language_tools&usg=ALkJrhiv_0JaW4EZ7IVD_wSJVjvmgV8Xqg

all the best otto

Posted this info taken from a japanese forum before ( but nobody seems to give a **** )

Before Super Real
     SUPER SOUND  : SE1200 SE1000 SE800
     EARLY SIXTIES : SE700 SE600
     SUPERSOUNDS  : SE500 SE450 SE380

Super Real:
     SUPER REAL  : SE1200 SE800 SE700
     SUPER SOUND  : SE600
     SPACY SOUND : SE500 SE450
     SUPER POWER  : SE380

Ah... kof88... thanks a load... that is helpful to me...
i havent bought the guitar yet... as i have been waiting to see what info i could find about it... this helps

this guitar is 1977, so its obviously pre Super Real... but its three piece... and I think that means it is an SE 800, but someone told me they were two piece... but I don't mean to sound stupid, but was "Early Sixties" the name on the headstock? If so, I havent ever seen one like that... but I have very limited experience with Greco strats.

I will likely buy this guitar but I am not sold on it yet... I bought two other guitars this week , and my girlfriends patience is only so thick.... and it is wearing thin as we speak :lol:

thanks for the info...

Hm... Early Sixties/ Supersounds ( Note that it is Supersounds with s )

These words are inprinted in large & capital Letters, and i suppose both of them have Large Headstock. Supersound are in capital but very small font and normal headstock. ( For pre- super real )

Not sure if that rule holds on the model numbers?

I have a 1978 SE600 that is marked "Super Sound" not "Sounds" on the small 50s/60s style headstock.

I thought Super Sound was for SE600 and up and Sounds was for SE500 and below?

Does that sound right?[/quote]

Back