AST 62

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that needs updating. We established several weeks ago that Tokai made Goldstars in 1983 with the block decal, but the registry hasn't been updated yet to reflect the fact. And there's no mention of the Special Edition model either, yet a few of those have surfaced on eBay recently.

Mike

I also got a deal on the shiiping, since it was located at a pawn shop in detroit which was only about 25 mins. from my house.
Alan

Hey alanhoggard

Congratulations and welcome to the forum, please post pics, when you can, you have a real jewel there 8) , Tokai tweed case too? 8),

regards

Mick

Hi Alan

I saw the kodak gallery 8)

Could you post a pic, of the underside of the scratchplate, showing the pups etc, I have never seen inside one of those beauties. 8) 8), let alone being lucky enough to own an AST 62

Mick

i have pics here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=aguq7pdj.1afm0hbz&x=0&y=pcqkii
i would stilllike some info on it.
thanks

Hey Alan, the best info available would be from this catalog

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p3.jpg

Mick

I have a 1984 fiesta red AST '62.

84TokaiAST.jpg

Based on my guitar, yours had a period correct logo removed:

P1010173.jpg

The "AST '62" and "Instruments of the world" portion of your logo look identical to mine, although in your picture 3 it looks like the finish was changed very close to the logo (so close it is hard to imagine how this part of the logo is still intact) if not underneath it.

My tuners are stamped "deluxe" as are yours.

P1010169.jpg

The headstock shape seems subtly different to me. The later (and current) Tokai strat copies have a more rounded head stock shape. Yours appears to be in between. Maybe not. Yours looks somehow less sharp. I do have to admit mine seems to look more sharp in real life than it does in the pic.

P1010172.jpg

I would say yours is authentic. I have a 5 digit serial number starting with a 2, which would indicate that your is of similar vintage. There was also a rectangular "Made in Japan" sticker at the base of the neck where it joins the body on mine.

Mine no longer has the original saddles and the original pickups have been removed. I thought I still had one lying around, but I can't find it. The original pots and wiring were not real high quality, and the wire was not cloth but thin gauge plastic sheathed. I may still have the pots, but I replaced the electronics with a Torres bluescaster harness some years ago. If yours had been rewired I would not consider that a huge loss, especially from a players perspective.

The original saddles were so corroded that they were no longer adjustable (I played the crap out of this thing for many years, I've owned it since the late 80's). I wish I still had the original pu'ps, but honestly, I don't think they sounded all that good.

The inside has a pretty typical vintage strat style route. I can't post a picture because it has an embarassingly hack job shielding on it! It sounds great though and is much more quiet than it was before.

I need to have mine refretted with bigger frets.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Curious to see what Tokai fans out there think. I am considering purchasing this Tokai AST - '62 (or at least bidding). If you are an expert search for it on ebay and tell me what you think. Is it the real deal? The guitar is a black AST-'62 model and it has some pretty good pictures. Also, if anyone can post the link - I cannot figure out how to do it and my son is not home right now. Thanks to anyone who can help. Much appreciated. :p :p

I go out of my way to take pictures and help you verify your guitar and that's all you've got to say?

No, thanks so much, I really appreciate the work, and I love the guitar, but my wife is getting angry with all of my guitar obsession and she says some of them have to go. By the way that is a beautiful tokai you have there.
Thanks again

Back