Tokai Springy Sound ST-80 '78-'80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredfreak

Reaction score
There's a guy in Finland who is selling his Tokai Springy Sound ST-80 and I'm very interested in it and I would like to know few things about it. I'm also considering Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocasters but because this one seems to have thicker neck it caught my attention.:)

This one is in Candy Apple Red which I guess was some kind of special order colour at that time? What kind of finish these things have, nitro or poly? And what about pickups, any good and how do they sound? And how can I make sure it really is a ST-80? The seller wasn't 100% it is.:-?

And finally, what is a good price for a ST-80?

Here's a few pics of it:
http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/tori/164270.jpg
http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/tori/163080.jpg

Thank you very much for your help! :D

Hi Shredfreak!

Could you post some close-up pics of:

- Headstock front and back
- neck-joint
- back of pups
- closeup of saddles
- closeup of frets
- closeup of neck plate (serial number)

Here are some indications coming from my ST-80:

- chunky V-neck
- pickups back stamped "E"
- 2 piece body
- steel tremolo block

Mine doesn't have original saddles. But I believe originals should be stamped "final prospect".

If it's a real ST-80 from 1979, 1980, 1981 for example and the condition is good I'd say a fair price is between ? 1200.-- and ? 1400.--.

Also look at villagers webpage www.japanguitars.co.uk. There you find 3 ST-80s.

Cheers. Rupert

My ST-80 has a Zinc block, not a steel one, and I know of a few others that have zinc block as well.

Also, early Springy Sound's have 'Tokai' stamped saddles.

Probably the best way of telling as rgrafend said are:

- chunky V-neck
- pickups back stamped "E"
- 2 piece body (I have seen ST60's with a 2 piece though)

Read guitar owner's thread few stories down, Ze Kink just posted some time ago and asked questions about the same guitar. :D

joukov said:
Read guitar owner's thread few stories down, Ze Kink just posted some time ago and asked questions about the same guitar. :D

Quite funny, I actually just noticed there is a theard about the very same guitar! :D

Well anyway, thanks Rgrafend and JohnA for answering! :)

rgrafend said:
If it's a real ST-80 from 1979, 1980, 1981 for example and the condition is good I'd say a fair price is between ? 1200.-- and ? 1400.--.

Oh, that much?

It's been refretted with jumbo's and one pot has been changed (I still have the original though, I think it still works). Does that affect the price very much? Also the plastic parts have been changed, the pickguard and the backplate are missing, but I've still got the pickup covers etc.

The weird thing is that the original plastic parts are black. They could also have been changed though?

Anyway, see my own thread too.

Back