Buying from Japan and "market" pricing (noob)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zbillster

Reaction score
Noob-Boy here with some general questions about buying a Tokai LP from Japan. I searched around the forums for a couple of hours (isn't getting paid to surf at work fun?) but many of the links and info are out of date on the following questions, so pardon my noobosity if the answers are hidden elsewhere. :D

(This seems like a friendly helpful group so far, so I feel safe in asking.)

I downloaded the latest Tokai Japan catalog as a model/pricing guide. Let's say I'm interested in a Les Paul Custom copy with set neck, no fancy flames or finish, just a solid color (and excellent player). I'm buying from the U.S., Texas to be exact.

Using the catalog as an example:

Made in Japan:
LC125SEB 131250 Yen = $1120 USD
LC180S 189000 Yen = $1610 USD

Made in either Japan or Korea(???)
LC85S 89250 Yen = $760 USD

Made in Korea
ALC53 55650 Yen = $474 USD

Here are the questions:

1. Are these catalog prices "street" market prices or should I consider them MSRP and expect a discount, and about what percentage off? Or perhaps (shudders) paying MORE?

2. Any latest/greatest online resources for buying these items? (Many links I looked up from posts here no longer handle new Tokai LPs.)

3. What methods have people used and been happy/successful with?
a) Buying services?
b) Non-U.S. eBay?
c) Japanese shops?
d) Sticking it in your pants and limping through customs?

4. What kind of shipping/handling fees should I expect?

5. What kind of neck thicknesses are the new models sporting? Slimline or baseball bats ... or something in-between? (I prefer slim.) Do the neck profiles vary by model or country of origin?

Thanks to all for letting me tap into your guru-ness.

Me again ... just to give a pricing example:

A quote from a shop in England off their ebay.uk store (the most obvious way to buy a new Tokai I've found by searching the net) for an ALC53 (which they say is made in China) ... total shipped ... would be $687.

That's $213 more than the Japanese catalog price.

Somehow I think ordering straight from Japan would be a better deal. :roll:

Hello zbilster,

I'm new to the forum as well but have been a resident of Japan for umm..a long time. Those prices are the MSRP only. We get them for much less off the rack.

As for getting a guitar.

The most common route is through Ishibashi gakki. There are a lot of threads all over the more popular internet forums on how to order through them. However, it seems that sometimes there stock thins out and you may have to wait some time for a model that interests you. Also, it seems to me that their actual selection of line models is a little limited. I may be mistaken about that though.
With Ishibashi I believe you are exempt from paying the 5% sales tax as an international buyer. Again I may be mistaken about that, too.

Another option is a buying service. This seems like a good way but my problem is they are really indifferent as to the quality of the instrument that you haven't even touched yet.

The best option in my opinion if you are buying a quality instrument is to find someone living in Japan who is willing to do the leg work for you and who can assure you get the best available. You will end up paying the extra 5% sales tax and a service fee but for me the peace of mind would be worth it. Also, with a little skillful price negotiation the difference between Ishibashi's higher price and paying the 5% sales tax on a better deal ends up being about the same anyway.

I think there are few people doing this or something similar on this board but then yet again I may be mistaken.

And yes, I live in Japan and have done this service a few times but it's a lot of work for really nothing considering guitarists are inherently very exacting yet extremely thrifty.

Try Ishibashi first though and good luck with it.

candh

Thanks for the tip. Here's Ishibashi's English website for those playing at home (to save you some searching):

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/

Also discovered upon searching, and looking through their website (can you say "busy"? :D ) that they no longer handle Tokai guitars.

standard up here in Sendai is 20% off list except during sales, which is the only time I buy new guitars...I much prefer used and have done for some time. Then ther are the " open price " guitars which basically means ...we don`t have to give you 20% off because we don`t wanna tell you the retail price... and those are the ones they never sell me.

standard up here in Sendai is 20% off list except during sales, which is the only time I buy new guitars...I much prefer used and have done for some time. Then ther are the " open price " guitars which basically means ...we don`t have to give you 20% off because we don`t wanna tell you the retail price... and those are the ones they never sell me.

Hi sneakyjapan,

How are things up in Sendai? I was there for 3 years before moving down here to the Izu Penninsula. We lived out in Tagajo about 5 min. from Sendai Shinko....must have surfed 300 days a year..lol. Great town, great surf. We still try to get up there a few times a year to visit friends and camp.

candh

It's quite simple, just always remember this : The yen trades around 85 cents. The pound trades around $1.80. Any guitar you find in the UK will be about half as much if you can find it in Japan. Guitars shipped from JP run about $100. from the UK about $85.

Thanks whitehall ... ah, the wonderful world of international currency exchange. Maybe I should have done this in 2000? :roll:

I did find on Ishibashi's site some very nice black Edwards Les Paul Customs (or as they say on the translated page, "Res Paul Customs") with covered Seymour Duncans for around $600 USD (plus ship, fees, etc.). Hmmmm ... :D

Last time I checked Ishibashi was not stocking their guitars anymore bit of a shame as they are really a good company to deal with and fair on price

Back