Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with vintage Tokai Precision
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaiges
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Help with vintage Tokai Precision Reply with quote

Hi mates.

I have just purchased the following Tokai, which is on its way to my home: https://www.guitarristas.info/anuncios/tokai-precision-bass-1981/598159

There are plenty of pics in the link. The bass has some issues and I'd like you to let me know if they are right for a 1981? Tokai. The previous owner tells me that he bought it from a shop in Japan. I think I would trust a Japanese shop.

The thing is that I can't find any basses with the same or similar BULLET NUT on the headstock. The decal is almost gone, though you can see the spaghetti "T" and the "i". The tuners are also different form the rest. The neckplate doesn't have any numbers, only "MADE IN JAPAN".

I don't know what to think but the audio files you'll find in the link are fantastic, in my opinion.

Just let me know think. Try not to be very hard, or you'll break my heart.

Thanks.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bass is not a Tokai in my opinion.There were no Tokais with a Made in Japan neckplate or a bullet truss rod.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the earliest Tokai catalogue. http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/78cat_p11.jpg
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume540.jpgAnd here is the 82 catalogue/In my opinion you have been sold an old MIJ bass faked to look like Tokai.sorry.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleas post some photographs of under the scratchplate and I might be able to tell you who made your bass.At the moment I am guessing its a 1970s Matsumoku.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare this with yours http://www.ebay.ph/itm/lt-SOG-gt-E00148-Tokai-hard-puncher-PB-matching-head-Rare-/301436056595?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
vaiges
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bluejeannot.

Thanks for your help, even though they are bad news. I also think I have been fooled like a child. I should have checked everything inside out. I fell in love with the sound of this Precision.

I'm afraid there's nothing under the scratchplate.

However, not everythings is bad news. The bass sounds awesome. It's the best sounding one I've ever have (I had some). The hardware is quite good. It has NOBLE pots, which I guess it's a good thing, and the pickups looks good quality.

Here are the pics I have just taken.

bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the body solid wood or ply?
vaiges
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid
cashcow
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make out some of the logo

vaiges
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, but nothing else coincides with the rest of Tokais, not even the shape of the headstock.

To be honest, the overall feeling is that of a mid-range quality Japanese instrument: 4 kg, feels like a tank, quiet electronics, hardware is rusted but works very well (bridge and tuning pegs), resonant instrument, straight neck, etc. It's not a cheap copy, you can be sure it's a good bass. I've had Ibanez from that era and this one is as good as them.
cashcow
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can write Tokai.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any codes inside the body? on the butt of the neck?could we see more photos?
vaiges
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing on the butt of the neck, nothing on the back of the pickguard, nothing in the pot cavity. The only cavity I haven't inspected is the pickup one. I removed the pickups but I couldn't remove the metallic part at the bottom. I wouldn't dare to force it. Do you think it's worthwhile?

The bass hasn't been altered. All parts are original and no routings have been made.

Thanks for your help.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very strange bass.Historically the only Fender bass with a bullet truss rod was the mid 70s Jazz bass,there never was a Fender PB with a bullet truss rod so what the heck were the people or person who made this bass attempting to copy?Also Noble pots are US made,all mid price Japanese copies of this era are fitted with Japanese electrics as it would be prohibitive financially to import those parts.Very ,very strange.the other weird thing is that I have NEVER seen a bass sized large Tokai aftermarket replacement logo.i have seen plenty of Tokai Springy replacements but nothing this size.Weirder than weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: