Joined: 02 Mar 2015
Location: West Central Florida
|Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:19 pm Post subject: Tokai tenor guitar?
|Hello, I recently acquired an unmarked acoustic flat top tenor guitar. Sadly a former owner went to great lengths to obscure it's origins (paper label removed, peg head logo sanded off). I suspect it is of Japanese manufacture, mid-1970's to early 1980's. I think this because it:
1. Uses laminate tone woods for the top, back, and sides
(laminate spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides)
2. Is a virtual clone of a Martin 0-18T
3. Exhibits a very, very good build quality and X-bracing of the top
4. Has a hidden truss rod; the adjusting nut is just inside the sound hole
5. Has the same pumpkin-colored top and red-wine-stained back, sides,
and neck I've seen on many other Japanese acoustics of that era
I love this guitar. It sounds great and is an absolute joy to play. It would be fun to find out who built this very good box. Here are links to some pictures:
Sorry I couldn't post the actual pictures, but I had enough trouble posting the links. The pickup was added by a later owner. Anyway, any help identifying this guitar will be MUCH appreciated. Thank you.