Opinions Wanted: Value for Double Trick pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RyanC said:
JohnA said:
Although the Dry-Z is undoubtably a great sounding pickup, the prices are definitely elevated by reputation an rarity, a set of double-tricks would IMO be lucky to fetch $150 on ebay.

I agree with John. That being said, I do think they represent a great dollar for dollar for value over the Dry Z's. I've had two Super Real's with original Dry Z's and an ES and an SG with Double Tricks. The Double Tricks lack a little of the sparkle or articulation inherent in the Dry Z's, but they were very nice pups IMHO.

I've never heard the Dry Z's firsthand.. only the Dry 82's in a couple of different Greco LP's. Good sounding but not moreso than your average modern day Dimarzio Virtual PAF or similar. I recently owned an '82 Greco EX-800 (their Hamer Explorer replica) that came stock with a pair of uncovered creme bobbin Double Tricks. Those were fine sounding pickups to be sure. Not super articulate for clean sounds but very nice for crunchy metal rhythms ala Accept, MSG, Scorpions, UDO, etc. Very nice vocal singing tones for high gain leads too. The Double Tricks are good!

fiftywatt said:
RyanC said:
JohnA said:
Although the Dry-Z is undoubtably a great sounding pickup, the prices are definitely elevated by reputation an rarity, a set of double-tricks would IMO be lucky to fetch $150 on ebay.

I agree with John. That being said, I do think they represent a great dollar for dollar for value over the Dry Z's. I've had two Super Real's with original Dry Z's and an ES and an SG with Double Tricks. The Double Tricks lack a little of the sparkle or articulation inherent in the Dry Z's, but they were very nice pups IMHO.

I've never heard the Dry Z's firsthand.. only the Dry 82's in a couple of different Greco LP's. Good sounding but not moreso than your average modern day Dimarzio Virtual PAF or similar. I recently owned an '82 Greco EX-800 (their Hamer Explorer replica) that came stock with a pair of uncovered creme bobbin Double Tricks. Those were fine sounding pickups to be sure. Not super articulate for clean sounds but very nice for crunchy metal rhythms ala Accept, MSG, Scorpions, UDO, etc. Very nice vocal singing tones for high gain leads too. The Double Tricks are good!
Fifty where you bee? Seams I don't see you on here in forever, then you pop up, I see your a fan of Old School German metal. Did ya see Accept back together with the old TT Quick singer? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250621344472&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3692.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D250621344472%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

"Pickups are either Double Tricks or possibly the highly sought after Dry Z's (selling for $600 for two!). I have a Greco with Screamin' '82's and these pups sound a 100 times better so they are NOT Screamin's for sure! They have a very nice creamy vintage PAF tone to them. I could take the pup covers off and see if the magnets are silver which would most likely = Dry Z's but I just do not want to disturb the originality of this guitar, it is in too new of condition to do it IMO so keep in mind you could very well get a $600 set of pups in this guitar. If not then the Double Tricks are still $350 pups and put most other pups out there to shame!"

glad to see that Double Tricks are so valuable; thanks Udo :wink: :lol: ..................................

Rich, You owe me three fiddy. I forgot to charge for the Double Tricks in that EG59-70. :D

Back