ES120 with a REAL BIGSBY.....what is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
Hi, my first post, I've just got back from my local and i've been playing a natural Tokai es120 with a flame maple top with a REAL Bigsby including patent number, its a brand new guitar, is this a one off or limited edition because i haven't seen anything like it or similar anywhere,.....not with a REAL bigsby anyway, its priced at ?1099 they said they'll take ?999 though. Is this a collectable?

Sounds quite an unusual find. I guess that being 'collectable' is something that would only happen in the fullness of time but I'd think its pretty rare. I'd be surprised if you could find any others on sale in the UK at the moment. The price seems pretty good too - especially as 899GBP seems to be street price for a regular ES-100.

It plays as good as any MIJ Tokai does, but the bigsby changes the sound alot making it less tight even a little bright and raspy but not harsh if you get me. I was told by a different dealer that "only 4" was made for the UK market and the full retail is actually ?1299....

What would you do!

Wouldn't be the first time the UK has got an exclusive limited edition tokai. I wonder why they didn't use a Tigsby? :-?

I know that Electro Music in Doncaster (my "local") has a blonde, flamed ES120 with a Bigsby for ?1099, and they are usually quite flexible in the pricing (it has sat there for a while, so they'll want rid).

Unusual. Certainly, I've not seen another one of it's like around, even "down the road" at Wizard.

Collectable. Probably, but we buy these things to play, not collect. Or at least that's what you tell the other half! ;)

Limited edition or a custom order. Don't know, but I do know that if I had a grand to spare, it would definitely NOT still be there.

It was the guy at Wizard that said there's only 4 made....although if i bought one from him he said it wold cost me every penny of ?1299...not sure how he makes a living with pricing like this..

:eek: the collectable thing a grey area, To me all Tokais are collectable because I collect Tokais. I have never bought a guitar as an investment, so tell your woman what you will, there are better places to put your money. If you like it ...thats the most important thing! Up until Jack White, a red Airline Guitar was'nt thought of as anything but a cool cheap guitar. The Star quality now makes this guitar collectable. Before Kurt Cobain you could get a Jazzmaster/ Jaguar real cheap! I had a 59' Les Paul plaintop back in the early 90's. I loved that guitar, paid a fair amount for it...in 98' I was offered a rediculous amount of money for it. I had to let it go, then I sold off the rest of my vintage stuff and decided to collect something a little different. I already had 3 Springys so I started there and have had more fun finding bargains in the Japanese replica market than I could imagine. It's your guitar , thats what makes it special! 8) TG

It seems an special order or the like from UK distributor.I have read on Guitar Magazine they requested a very special LS-120 with trapezoids makers and binding( more like an early 60's look).It could be a Tokai aproximation to an ES-345 or 355 too(these models spoted a vari-tone but I have seen a picture from an very odd 355 with no vari-tone electronics).Chec neck style,altough we have never seen a slim taper neck from Tokai ever.I am looking for a 335 by Tokai but I prefer '59 style neck,it feels very comfortable for my hands.

Back