Which pickup rings for my Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian - if it's of any help, I used a 40W iron to install my pickups. It was sufficiently powerful to solder the ground connections to the pot, but I doubt you'd succeed with a less powerfull iron. Be careful too use a soldering pencil and not a gun, because I once read in a Seymour Duncan brochure that a gun can demagnetize your pickups. I'm thinking about rewiring as well; I've ordered some vintage shielded wire with my pots/caps 'upgrade' from Black Rose, so I'll probably install that and do the fifties mod.

Paladin - thanks for the info. Your previous posts left me a bit confused: did you get to compare the CTS pots with the Nobles?

Joe - Tim doesn't have a website, but don't let that put you off. He is quite simply amazing to deal with, incredibly friendly and quick to reply to e-mails. He also really cares about his customers being satisfied. You can contact him at [email protected]. There is a prettylong waiting time for them, but the positive side of that is that if you eventually get them and don't like them, you can sell them for twice the amount you paid for it (a pair recently popped up on eBay and got sold within a day for $500 - that's how in demand they are!). I've also sent you a pm about the caps!

Hi Arthur,

thanks. :) Is there any info on those timbuckers besides the LPF, models, covers and so on?

I forgot something in the pm, I just shot a pic of those caps.

caps.jpg

The little ones are those which were in my Love Rock Gold Top.

Have mercy

Joe

ArthurS said:
Paladin - thanks for the info. Your previous posts left me a bit confused: did you get to compare the CTS pots with the Nobles?

No, I changed them out pretty quickly for the modified circuit I'd been using in an epiphone (the epi circuit used allparts push-pull pots). I wanted my push-pull switches in the tokai and at the time I was totally unaware of the difference good pots could make. It wasn't until a year or so later that I put CTS pots in.

I had one running as a tone pot for ages but one tone pot can't really be used to judge the set. Plus it was linear taper and I despise linear taper.

I think there are 2 maple pieces under the veneer on my LS80F. The join is not down the middle like on a bookmatched top, but on the bass side of the humbucker cavity. For the treble side I couldn't see a joint from two pieces of wood. Past the area visible through the PU cavity, I was looking at the dip of maple on the horn. It looked like a single piece of wood on the treble side as far as I could tell. Maybe Tokai uses irregular pieces of wood to fit under the veneer, and that doesn't surprise me since flatsawn pieces are generally larger.

Edit: Woops, wrong thread.
Edit 2: Woops, turns out I posted on the right thread. :lol:

Back