Why don't Tokai Wax Pot their Pickups????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_man

Reaction score
Hi there I have what i think is a LS85Q and when using my amp with a lot of gain the pickups a noticebly microphonic.

Is there any reason i.e tone why Tokai don't wax pot their pickups? It makes it a chore playing live.

Is it easy to remove the pickups? and who best should pot them?

Cheers

Steve

I think you can wax your pickups with paraffin wax. It's the same kind of stuff ladies use to wax their hands. :lol: Buy one of those wax melting machines for your wife so she will be happy when you have a hidden agenda to wax your pickups. You dip the pickup in and tap it so air bubbles come out. Be careful not to melt the wire inside though.

If you can desolder your pickups then you can also buy new ones that are already wax potted.

I don't think mine are on an LS80F. I'm only saying this because I didn't see wax come out when I adjusted the polepieces, and there is no evidence of wax underneath the pickup.

If memory serves well Tokai introduced a new MK II PAF style pups on 2.002/2.003,replicating the ones coming on old models.Maybe some of you own the older and some the newest.The ones on my '01 LS-70 were a little microphonic if you played hard.

My Tokai serial No. is: 0306334

Does anyone know what model it is?

Maybe they are potted and it's just my amp that squealing?

Cheers

Steve

original gibson paf's were not waxed. i don't know if my gotoh pups are or not.

guitar_man said:
My Tokai serial No. is: 0306334

Does anyone know what model it is?

Maybe they are potted and it's just my amp that squealing?

Cheers

Steve

My 2003 LS80F is 030643T (or might be 7 - hard to read) so that's pretty close to yours. The pickups in mine are wax potted: the metal baseplate is covered in wax, and some wax came out when adjusting the pole pieces.

ArthurS said "My 2003 LS80F is 030643T (or might be 7 - hard to read)"

If it helps Arthur, my ser. no. is 0306589 - looks that that 'T' might be a '7'.

Best wishes,
Ian

Thanks for that, Ian - looks like our guitar our probably only a few weeks apart! As you can see in the picture, the 'stem' of the 7/T is 'broken' somewhere in the middle. I always assumend it was a T, but close inspection seems to reveal that right before the 'break', there's a slight curve in the stem. Based on Tokai's apparent serial number system, I guess it must be a 7 :)

tlrhb75g.jpg

Back