Burny "Les Paul" LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koubayashi

Reaction score
Just opened up one of my Burnys due to dirty pots.
FOund this weird **** in it
DSC00073.jpg

Looks like medium size pots and all budget...
But a good guitar....

MIJvintage said:
................ focus :lol: ..........................

I got a super duper high end Sony Ericsson...It even has nitro finish and FEB :D
They all suck...Suck hard!
Forgot my camera so....no choice

The early BURNY-Fernandes FLG-models are equipped with those crappy pots & caps. Pots have 250 k-Ohm. 16mm instead of 24mm housings. I replaced the ****** electronics of my BURNY-Fernandes FLG-70 (with original 'Les Paul'-logo on headstock) with high quality stuff and replaced the cheapo PU?s. I also changed the bridge & tailpiece. Now I?m extremely happy with my 1976-made BURNY. It?s a KEEPER !!

mojoburst said:
The early BURNY-Fernandes FLG-models are equipped with those crappy pots & caps. Pots have 250 k-Ohm. 16mm instead of 24mm housings. I replaced the ****** electronics of my BURNY-Fernandes FLG-70 (with original 'Les Paul'-logo on headstock) with high quality stuff and replaced the cheapo PU?s. I also changed the bridge & tailpiece. Now I?m extremely happy with my 1976-made BURNY. It?s a KEEPER !!

I am not sure what year mine is.
Looks like the serial starts with an Z.

its a descent player but the pots were too much.
Gibson next time!

Every Burny-Fernandes Les Paul -model serial-# starts with X or Z. The next number declares the production-year of the instrument. For example I show some pics of my 1976 BURNY-Fernandes Les Paul FLG-70, serial-# x61901:

Burny-FernandesLesPaulFLG-70toba-6.jpg

Burny-FernandesLesPaulFLG-70toba-8.jpg

Replace your pots with american or japanese high-quality 500 kOhm -pots and replace the original capacitors with paper-in-oil -caps (0.022uF - 400 or 600 V).

I find the best caps which bring some brightness and life to these Japanese pups are those in a range from 3300pF, 4700pF, & 6800pF. The most commonly used, seen, and recommended are the .022uF but I find those REALLY made the tone dark and often muddy. Voltage plays no part in caps and you will find no tonal difference regarding voltage, so ignore that. Just try those pF ranges and see if you like what you hear. I suspect you will love the tone a hell of a lot more.

With the prices of Japanese (mediocre) copies I can just as well add a few hundred ? and get a Gibson.

This Burny will end up where it belongs: my dusty basement.

Koubayashi said:
With the prices of Japanese (mediocre) copies I can just as well add a few hundred ? and get a Gibson.

:evil: I think you?re visiting the wrong forum! :evil:

Want some really good pots try Rs guitartworks CTS 500k Super pots for the volume controls, they average about 540k and really make a difference, not only in sound but have a really nice sweep as well. Get the regular CTS 500k for the tone controls as they have a taper more suited for tone. My LS150 had the regular imperial sized CTS pots in it which averaged about 435K each. They sound great and did the job but the Super pots do a little better. By the way, CTS is what Gibson installs in their guitars, they're branded Gibson but they're made by CTS. The old Gibson's used Centerlabs, which are hard if not impossible to find. Also, the Tokai LS150 uses the short shaft pots just like the Gibsons used prior to 1977 at which time they (Gibson) changed to the long shaft design.

This is a photo of my Tokai LS150 control cavity and CTS controls wired 50's style with Sprague 22uf caps.

P1040006.jpg

mojoburst said:
Koubayashi said:

I am amazed by the lack of pragmatic thinking here sometimes.
Some Jap Lesters are no good (actually its more like 50/50 in my opinion).

If I can get a Gibson for the same price or just a little more than a Jap Lester I will choose the Gibson cause in general the quality is higher on Gibs than on mid-range Jap Lesters...

I think the discussion around Jap Lesters need more transparency.
I had a 77 Gib Lester last year and it was way better than this Burny. I bought and sold that Lester for 1000?...

But I will try to change the pots and the caps.
If it boosts the sound it might become a great player.
As it is now, the wood is good but the rest doesn't impress.

mojoburst said:
Every Burny-Fernandes Les Paul -model serial-# starts with X or Z. The next number declares the production-year of the instrument. For example I show some pics of my 1976 BURNY-Fernandes Les Paul FLG-70, serial-# x61901:

Replace your pots with american or japanese high-quality 500 kOhm -pots and replace the original capacitors with paper-in-oil -caps (0.022uF - 400 or 600 V).

Thanks for the info.

Koubayashi said:
mojoburst said:
Koubayashi said:

If I can get a Gibson for the same price or just a little more than a Jap Lester I will choose the Gibson cause in general the quality is higher on Gibs than on mid-range Jap Lesters...

I had a 77 Gib Lester last year and it was way better than this Burny. I bought and sold that Lester for 1000?...

I?m in the situation to compare a lot of different MIJ-guitars with some vintage and newer Gibson-made instruments. I?m a collector of MIJ LP style guitars and own examples from 1975 to 2007, produced by nearly every known brand. I own(ed) vintage Gibsons (1972 LP-deluxe) to newer Lesters (1995 LP std.), know many other vintage and newer MIJ-guitars and Gibson LP?s from friends and buddy?s all over germany from doin? repair-jobs, upgrades, aging-, tuning-, and what the hell-jobs. I?m not a pragmatic idiot who talks like an inexperienced follower. I know what i?m talkin?about. You?re in the situation to realize the quality of the wood(!)(THAT?S WHAT THE MAIN THING IS ABOUT!!) of your 'mid-range' -Burny, and how easy & favourable it is to upgrade that great guitar with a few pots, caps & PU?s! Can?t understand your negative mindset. You better sell it to a lover and buy yourself a REALLY GREAT AMERICAN GIBSON Les Paul Traditional for 1490,- $! BTW: why have you sold the ?77 -LP?

mojoburst said:
Koubayashi said:
mojoburst said:
Koubayashi said:

I?m in the situation to compare a lot of different MIJ-guitars with some vintage and newer Gibson-made instruments. I?m a collector of MIJ LP style guitars and own examples from 1975 to 2007, produced by nearly every known brand. I own(ed) vintage Gibsons (1972 LP-deluxe) to newer Lesters (1995 LP std.), know many other vintage and newer MIJ-guitars and Gibson LP?s from friends and buddy?s all over germany from doin? repair-jobs, upgrades, aging-, tuning-, and what the hell-jobs. I?m not a pragmatic idiot who talks like an inexperienced follower. I know what i?m talkin?about. You?re in the situation to realize the quality of the wood(!) of your 'mid-range' -Burny, and how easy & favourable it is to upgrade that great guitar with a few pots, caps & PU?s! Can?t understand your negative mindset. You better sell it to a lover and buy yourself a REALLY GREAT AMERICAN GIBSON Les Paul Traditional for 1490,- $! BTW: why have you sold the ?77 -LP?

Isn't it funny that the general attitude here is the same as among the Gibson freaks.....Ha ha...its actually great comedy if I may say so.
They close their eyes and go la la la la la la if someone says that they got this great copy that sounds and feels like a R9 (or whatever Gib model).
Same thing on this forum...La la la la la la :D
As I suggested, transparency is needed here as well.
To fit a decent piece of wood with cheap parts is just wrong in my book.
It takes away some of the magic.

I sold the 77 cause it was just what I felt like at the time.
Gut feeling is my path finder in life.

I can't recall ever playing or owning a Burny, so I have no opinion about them one way or the other. However, I have owned and played many, many Gibson Les Pauls, they are for the most part great guitars, either new or old, and we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for Gibson. That said, if you purchased a new R9 for $6,000.00, it would have basically the same hardware that most if not all the top shelf Tokai's, which are less expensive than the Gibsons have. The hardware on my LS150 is by no means cheap and the wood, as well as the craftsmanship, is some of the best I've seen. Now, a week before Christmas 2009, I probably wouldn't have said that about a MIJ guitar, as I must admit I was skeptical about the quality of any guitar MIJ. But one look inside the case I just knew this was a keeper and I play it more than my 1960 LP Reissue. And guess what, I plan on buying some more of these beauties. Bottom line, it doesn't have to have the Gibson name on the headstock to be a great guitar. If you like the wood and feel of the Burny but the hardware is substandard then you have a good start at maybe a good guitar by just changing the hardware and some electronics.

@ easy crossing:
Yep, fellow!

I really love active exchange of facts, but don?t like to fight with ignorant, arrogant people ?bout wonderful & nice themes that make my special interest, main commitment & leasure activities so balanced and rewarding.

To me this thread is closed.

There never was a real/honest interest by the opener. He didn?t need any help, just wanted to provoke / **** around...

..and if a pot ain?t right: Always call the 'RIGHT' hotline, dudes!

mojoburst said:
@ easy crossing:
Yep, fellow!

I really love active exchange of facts, but don?t like to fight with ignorant, arrogant people ?bout wonderful & nice themes that make my special interest, main commitment & leasure activities so balanced and rewarding.

To me this thread is closed.

There never was a real/honest interest by the opener. He didn?t need any help, just wanted to provoke / (*&) around...

..and if a pot ain?t right: Always call the 'RIGHT' hotline, dudes!

What about scientific argues for low quality details???
Its not a religion, it is physical products that can be examined.

I am dissapointed that I found crap parts on an otherwise nice LP.
Its like buying a BMW M5 and put bicycle wheels on it.

I have had hundreds and hundreds of Jap Lesters and so far, the mid range models in general are not near the religious hype that sometimes appear here.
Obviously some are really great and some are really bad but most of them are just "alright".

The point is that it seems meaningless to buy a Burny if I have to upgrade it for about 200? (which is what pickups, pots and caps will cost) when I get a Gibson that will just cost 200? or so more and get it right from the beginning.

I will try to upgrade this Burny and I hope it will work cause I like the neck profile. If it doesn't work I just store for a couple of years, sell it and make some ? from the hype that is created here :D

i ,ve got a 1976 burny flg and the pots in it were awful. let down an otherwise lovely guitar. i replaced them with Bourns 500k pots( and a pair of tonerider humbuckers.) i really would recommend these pots, they aren,t cheap but they really are worth the extra cash! its one of the best guitars i own now.
anyone else got good results with Bourns?
btw; mojoburst-nice to meet a fellow flg owner with les paul on the headstock! good bit of lawsuit history.

Back