Ok ,,,so who got this one at a very reasonable price???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
I was watching this GRECO eg59-85+ on yahoo ..Resisting the GAS !!!
I have not got a nice greco egf,so was mighty tempted by the lowish price...
Somebody using rinkya bid on it in the last 2 minutes...Boo hoo!

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r69779148

So come on guys own up if your a real man :D

MOJO HOBO

Odd.. this guitar has a 1983 serial number. A 1983 EG59-85 should have Double Trick pups. This one has PU-2 pups which date from april 15 1980 (which were in EGF850, EG800C & EG800 back then).

Heh hee How are you mr smith! 8)
Yes i know only lousy veneer ...But i still think it was a reasonable price ,not a bargain ...I am sure that it might be a little overpriced if you happen to be in japan...And have the pick of crop to choose from...Maybe that is why someone from the west has brought it using rinkya ..It wastoo expensive for the natives.
With shipping,rinkya fees and uk import taxes,Thats the downside.

MOJO HOBO

YES JACCO ..I was puzzled by the 1983 serial number and why the thing had PU2 pups ,when it should have DTs.
Came to conclusion the pickups were changed ,but it did make me take a step back form bidding on the guitar.

There were no control cavity shots in the sellers auction photo link in the text either...So strange as he shot every other part of the guitar.

MOJO HOBO

NO not as much as ?950... :eek: Around the ?730 mark,It comes with a greco hard case which would push the shipping price up .

MOJO HOBO

I bought a MIJ for 66.000 yen recently which ended up on my doorstep costing 1090 euro ..

Koubayashi said:
jacco said:
I bought a MIJ for 66.000 yen recently which ended up on my doorstep costing 1090 euro ..

Jesus f-ing Christ :eek:

Hope it was a high end.

:D I know I will be buying from you from now on!

Rinkya fees are enormous. Also they calculate from yen to dollar and then from dollar to euro which cost me 40 euro (compared to if they had calculated directly from yen to euro). And shipping with 4 day EMS airmail cost me 250 dollar. After that experience have shipped everything with sea freight.

jacco said:
Koubayashi said:
jacco said:

Jesus f-ing Christ :eek:

Hope it was a high end.

:D I know I will be buying from you from now on!

Rinkya fees are enormous. Also they calculate from yen to dollar and then from dollar to euro which cost me 40 euro (compared to if they had calculated directly from yen to euro). And shipping with 4 day EMS airmail cost me 250 dollar. After that experience have shipped everything with sea freight.

A higher price can be justified if there is a warranty that the item is in good condition and that there is someone taking responsibility BUT buying from Japanese seller who more or less consequently use the "no claim no return" model is a bit of a risk.

If the guitar was defect you would have 1090? less and no one to "blame".

Risky business.

mojo hobo said:
YES JACCO ..I was puzzled by the 1983 serial number and why the thing had PU2 pups ,when it should have DTs.
Came to conclusion the pickups were changed ,but it did make me take a step back form bidding on the guitar.

There were no control cavity shots in the sellers auction photo link in the text either...So strange as he shot every other part of the guitar.

MOJO HOBO

Hmmmm :D

and the "no claim no return!" in typical Japanese manners :D

But PU-2 are reasonable pickups so what they hey!

Koubayashi said:
Its a veneer top!! Far to pricey for that imo

No way...think about age, wood used, construction, etc for a total of about $900 Canadian after all said and done...this is great IMO! You could buy an Epiphone for $650 or $250 more for this....come on man. :wink: You are becoming a bitter veneer Nazi like Rich was...now I have to deal with his Bacchus overload and veneer griping on the other forum lol. How come so much hate for MIJ lately?

Killer guitar MoHo....I watched that one...You resisted though eh? Haha junkie!

mojo hobo said:

MOJO HOBO

I just bought a set of nicely aged PU2's from Yahoo...they are killer pups!! I would put them against the Dry 82's for that nice PAF tone.

Udonitron said:
Koubayashi said:
Its a veneer top!! Far to pricey for that imo

No way...think about age, wood used, construction, etc for a total of about $900 Canadian after all said and done...this is great IMO! You could buy an Epiphone for $650 or $250 more for this....come on man. :wink: You are becoming a bitter veneer Nazi like Rich was...now I have to deal with his Bacchus overload and veneer griping on the other forum lol. How come so much hate for MIJ lately?

Killer guitar MoHo....I watched that one...You resisted though eh? Haha junkie!

As far as I have seen from "stripping" Japanese Lesters I can tell you that they are not very well built.

Veneer is veneer and I don't like it :D

Udonitron said:
How or why do you say they are not very well built? Due to one or 2 "odd balls" that you have received?

Every single Japanese LP I received that were smashed did I examine thoroughly and non have been really top notch when considering building quality.

But then again, if you don't mind a veneer top you might not mind a 2mm gap between the neck and the body or nato wood :wink:

But see...you just keep bringing up 2 or 3 of the 200 or more guitars you have owned and using those are the proof for all. That is just silly and a similar mentality to being beaten up by a particular race and therefore all of the same race are the same and thus a55holes...come on.

Tell me this...have you stopped buying MIJ guitars then?

Koubayashi said:
Udonitron said:
How or why do you say they are not very well built? Due to one or 2 "odd balls" that you have received?

Every single Japanese LP I received that were smashed did I examine thoroughly and non have been really top notch when considering building quality.

But then again, if you don't mind a veneer top you might not mind a 2mm gap between the neck and the body or nato wood :wink:

you forget to say what model, or price level these smashed ones were, and how many you are talking about, I have taken high end Japanese guitars to the a reknowned luthier in London, Charlie Chandler, and he has deemed the build quality to be excellent, so we cannot be looking at the same things here.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with UDO on this .. and thats a first!! :eek:

If your going to slag something off then at least properly identify for us what it is you are slagging off!!

villager said:
Koubayashi said:
Udonitron said:

you forget to say what model, or price level these smashed ones were, and how many you are talking about, I have taken high end Japanese guitars to the a reknowned luthier in London, Charlie Chandler, and he has deemed the build quality to be excellent, so we cannot be looking at the same things here.

Mainly mid ranges but also an EGF1200 and an EGF850 + a Burny 150.
Huge gaps between the neck and the body. Did he remove the fretboard to look at the joint? Its a horrible sight.
Haven't had more than about 10 crushed over the last 6-7 years so it is not empiric material

Would be interesting to see a Gibby's joint as well. :D

Back