I couldn't help myself! Mystery '80 Greco EGF...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanC

Reaction score
Hit the BIN on this mystery Greco EGF this morning on Rinkya. 9.2 lbs. Gibson headstock veneer, PU-0 pickups, 1980 serial number and Super Real short tenon. Seems to be an EGF850 (even though the catalog says pups are PU-2). It's got a bit of veneer delamination (see pic), but I can get that repaired, or even do a full refin on it if it sounds good! Maybe some aged inlays...

Thoughts?

BTW, it was under $500 USD including Rinkya fees (still need to pay shipping).

1.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Hi RyanC,

I think you?re right. I?d say it?s an EGF-850. Some of them had the top-veneer delamination-problem. Please watch the following thread by my buddy & forum-member BigEd:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13557

It might be interesting for you.

All the best,
Ralf

So it has been sold three times in a month now :D

I also looked at it and was tempted...
But I hesitated cause I couldn't decide if the entire headstock plate is changed or its just something put on top of it.

Will be interesting to see now if it will be sold for real.
Hope so (so it won't tempt me any more :D )

I was checking that one out a few days ago BUT when I saw the (forth photo that you have posted) in the Yahoo photo link, I bailed on even going back to the listing

it's probably a decent guitar but just another example of what veneer tops can & will do :wink:

one saving grace; the PU-2s in my 1980 EGF-850 sound F-ing awesome :D and those should sound mighty fine too ..........

enjoy ................

EDIT: I guess I mis-read your post; thought you had PU-2s in there but I see they are PU-0s :oops:

sorry you didn't get the PU-2s; I have a set of the PU-0s and IMO they don' stack up against the PU-2s ...............

That is a great thread Ralf - I had that one in mind when I hit the BIN and if mine turns out half as good as Ed's I'll be thrilled. If this thing plays/sounds good I think I'm going to do a little Pearly Gates inspired refin. The thin curly flames seem like a nice match, and I'd like to go a little browner on the burst.

As for the headstock, it looks like a Gibson inlay and a LP decal, but we'll see when it shows up. It just spoke to me and I thought the price was right... I could use a project to keep me busy this winter!

Cheers,
Ryan

pearly.jpg

Ah so you bought that eh? I was watching that too but I just would have rather it said Greco instead of Gibson so I passed. You can see the line on the headstock where the plate was pasted on top. A little work and it will be back to original however.

I hear you on the inlay, but if I had to bet I'd say the Greco inlay is gone, and they rerouted the headstock slightly to fit the Gibson inlay and that reroute is what is showing through the finish. Once I dull, check and lightly relic the headstock I'm hoping it's not noticeable.

I'll report back once I have it in hand.

Its been sold twice in three days :D
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n79240481

krall said:
Koubayashi said:
Its been sold twice in three days :D
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n79240481

What's going on with these auctions?

There are many different reasons.
Most common is that the seller wants to be paid within 24h or that they don't accept the buyer if the buyer has one negative feedback (doesn't matter if there is a million positive on the same buyer).

And sometimes they are just looking to rip someone off.

Back