binding on love rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike martin

Reaction score
hi again,
nothers question obout my 85 love rock. any one ever come across binding on the neck where it goes all the way up to cover the ends fret wire

mike martin said:
any one ever come across binding on the neck where it goes all the way up to cover the ends fret wire
Yes, my 1981 LS 120 has it. It's a feature that isn't mentioned in the catalogue descriptions, as far as I know, so it's a bit hard to say which model has it and which not.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My LS 120 '82 Love Rock has got it tooo....! :wink:

Hot Rod ( I hate powerchords, I'm a "BLUES MAN") 8)

My 1980 ls80 had it until I refretted it recently. I thought I read somewhere that the ls50 & 60 didn't, but everything from ls70 on up did.

I've got an '83 LS 80 with binding over the frets. It's nice work. I brought it in to get it set up when I first got it and my luthier skoffed and said something like, "a lot of times the bridges on these copies are in the wrong place and they won't intonate." Then when I picked it up he was like, "this is a really nice guitar, we've been playing it all week." Boo, Yaa!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is a solid two-piece maple top. I can't see a laminate, how thick is a typical laminate? The flame is ever so slight and the finish has faded to a fairly consistent butterscotch. It does not have a long neck tenon. It has a one piece mahogany back. It seems to me like there is some variabilty as to specs in this period.....

pictures and sounds at: www.swampcoolermusic.com

ScottA said:
Then when I picked it up he was like, "this is a really nice guitar, we've been playing it all week." Boo, Yaa!
The Tokai effect... ;) Hi Scott, welcome to the forum!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is a solid two-piece maple top. I can't see a laminate, how thick is a typical laminate? The flame is ever so slight and the finish has faded to a fairly consistent butterscotch.
It's very thin, but most of the time quite easy to spot. If you can't decide it from the edge of the bridge pickup cavity, you can usually trace the graining of the solid maple beneath the veneer, i.e. it doesn't correspond with the top graining. Fading would only happen if your Love Rock has a nitro lacquer finish instead of the usual polyurethane which a 1983 LS80 normally has. On your band pictures the color looks like VF (violin finish) or OS (old sunburst) to me, but sometimes they made special orders, so it's possible that a lower model would have nitro lacquer, too.

It does not have a long neck tenon. It has a one piece mahogany back. It seems to me like there is some variabilty as to specs in this period.....
Usually Tokais have a medium neck tenon, i.e. up to the neck cavity, but not underneath the pickup. As far as I know, they only have a long tenon when it's explicitely mentioned in the catalog like with the new LS120F.

And sometimes the joint between two mahogany body pieces is hard to find on Love Rocks, the easiest place is in the pickup cavity and on the side of the body.

pictures and sounds at: www.swampcoolermusic.com
Nice playlist... ;) Do you have a clip of "I'm bad, I'm nationwide", too?

Hans,

Thanks. Your stuff sounds good, too. Really full, chimy sound on the ZZ Top stuff. Almost sounds like a subtle UniVibe.

I've got an old version of Nationwide with our former bassist. Send me a pm with your email and I'll forward it to you.

I'll take my neck p'up next time I change my strings and take a closer look......

Scott

ScottA said:
Thanks. Your stuff sounds good, too. Really full, chimy sound on the ZZ Top stuff. Almost sounds like a subtle UniVibe.
Thank you, I think you mean the Roland Chorus (and echo) on some songs like El Diablo or at the end of Nasty Dogs. Oh yes, and of course Manic Mechanic is full of it! Hope I don't use it too much though... :wink:

I've got an old version of Nationwide with our former bassist. Send me a pm with your email and I'll forward it to you.
Done. :)

Hi Scott and Hans-J. My '80 LS50 does not have the fret ends covered but the '79 Reborn LS80 does. That is a cool list Scott and a tasty geetar too. I've never heard anyone cover "Axis....." before and it's one I never learned to play. I must get down to it soon! When are you touring France - we need some of this stuff down here! :wink: .... and H-J you do "Nasty Dogs...." - thats an ace tune - do you follow the Revs solo? Its a classic and his tone is incredible - rake and bend, Baby! Do you Guys have any CD's available?
Mike.

spikeymikey said:
and H-J you do "Nasty Dogs...." - thats an ace tune - do you follow the Revs solo? Its a classic and his tone is incredible - rake and bend, Baby! Do you Guys have any CD's available?
No CD, sorry, or rather there is only one which the drummer's wife faked as an evening school project (that's how we got our new name, too)... :wink:

I follow Billy Gibbons' solo only halfways at most, but it's the best I could do back then (or now, LOL). These recordings are very old (1985-1989), and if I ever manage to get a PC with sound card into our rehearsal room I'll record some new demo clips then.

For some reason I missed this thread completely. But just for info. -- originally from 1978 onwards, Reborn LS80 & above got fret binding, & lower Reborn models LS50 & LS60 were unbound. Believe that practice continued on Love Rocks at least up until 1983 (ie bound LS80 & above). After that I begin to lose track (my main interest is early guitars) ? I think it is mentioned somewhere in the catalogues (though as always you may have to search hard) :-? .

Ian.

Mike,

No CD's here either. You can download everything from our website if you want! I'll have 'em post some more live stuff if we get some decent recordings in future gigs (right now all we have booked is this Friday).

I had my neck p'up out last night. I'm still not sure about the top. There's what looks like a real thin layer on one side that could be a veneer, but the other side doesn't really have it. There's not enough flame in that area to really be able to trace the grain but it looked like it could be continuous. There appears to be a symmetrical pattern in the meat of the top, which I doubt they would bother with if it wasn't visible?! I guess with the almost perfect chevron pattern it's unlikely to be solid. The back definitely looks to be one piece, so I got that going for me, which is nice! The cavity looks pretty much like Hans' except that the strip in between the screw counter-sinks was unfinished.

I actually prefer the frets hanging over the binding...more playing area, plus the string doesn't ever get stuck in the gap!!

GStormcrow said:
Hans what roland amp do you have. A JC120 perhaps?
No Roland amp, a Roland Chorus Echo which is a tape echo from the early '80s with additional analog chorus effect and reverb, too. I really like it, because it still sounds so good after all these years without changing the tape... :wink: My amp on most of the recordings was a Mesa Boogie MarkIIB head with an old Marshall cab, only Nasty Dogs was recorded with my favorite Fender Bassman head.

Back