Need help identifying a CSB Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtarman59

Reaction score
The seller only listed it as a Love Rock—no other info. There’s no closeup of the serial number. It could be “101xxx” but my eyes could be playing tricks on me. Also, I go back and forth between thinking it’s a one piece back and a two piece. There are no nibs at the fret ends (could have been refretted at some point). I’m new to Tokai guitars. More seasoned opinions are appreciated. IMG_1713.jpegIMG_1718.jpegIMG_1714.jpegIMG_1717.jpeg
img_1715-jpeg.24903

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpeg
    IMG_1715.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 74
Early MIK ones had that type of 2 screw pointed TRC, 1995 to 1997 I think. It may be MIJ but the TRC is 90s.

Last edited:
I'm no expert though, no doubt someone will be along to soon to confirm!

After looking at some other guitars around this period, I think this is early 90s MIJ. The MIK ones rarely had serials. Could there be possibly be a 9 in front of the 1****** serial?

Can you post a clear photo of the back of the headstock. That would clear it up Pronto.

I am thinking MIJ myself for a number of reason, but seeing the serial number would put it to bed.

And your pics are off of a Reverb listing, but I can't see it because it was sold.

Can you post a clear photo of the back of the headstock. That would clear it up Pronto.

I am thinking MIJ myself for a number of reason, but seeing the serial number would put it to bed.

And your pics are off of a Reverb listing, but I can't see it because it was sold.
I asked the seller for a better picture, but haven’t received a response.

Weird that the seller won't give you that. Red flag.

Are you saying it is a different seller than the one who had it on Reverb?

That is pretty essential to identify a guitar.

Looking at similar guitars, though interesting, is no way to be definitive.

Let us know when you get a pic of the serial number.

Last edited:
While you are waiting for those pictures, here is what I am seeing.

If you look at the headstock, there is a gap around the black face veneer.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 9.09.35 AM.png

This is something I see on MIJ Love Rocks up until 1982.

Love Rock Headstock Veneer?

Also, this logo is like the early MIJ Tokai logo with the pronounced "k" that doesn't look more like an "h".

"Tokai" Headstock Logo Inlay Variations

And looks like it is a TLS60 CS, but you should definitely pull a pickup and check with a bright light to see if the top is actually a veneer.

I had a 1983 LS80 with 2 piece back and solid flamed top. Only a couple hundred units away from yours.

Specs were weird in 1983.

Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 4.25.50 PM.png

Here are the 1984 catalog specs:

21033-e043ea5da6fe61e7657b1c9ad07b39c7.png
21032-bd17cde5ee17426ec4d6d1813d57aa29.jpg

Last edited:
Can you confirm when you get a chance what the face of the headstock looks like with a picture?

I am asking because it looked like that synthetic veneer I see on Lover Rocks before 1982.

My 1983 LS80 that is a couple hundred units before yours had what looks like a painted headstock or a thin wood veneer.

Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 6.41.53 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 1
Back