NGD: '84 TFV60MS = instant nostalgia

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampmaker

Reaction score
Back home in England from my Japan trip (see other thread). And I did manage to find an old Tokai, way out in Tachigawa (West Tokyo prefecture). It's a MS liveried Flying V as featured in the '85 Tokai catalogue. JDM-only as far as I can tell. Dated '84 from the serial number.

TFV60MSandme1.jpg

That's me in the hotel room (and sunburnt because Tokyo's Spring weather was mostly great). As a huge MS fan, it's a lucky find for me. I pretty much wore out my copy of MSG's "One Night at the Budokan" album. (Back when I had more hair!) :)

Like me, it's a bit battered with the occasional bruise, but that's just fine. The white paintwork has gone creamy - just like a typical white Gibson Vee. I'd assumed that this is a poly finish and would have stayed pretty clear white, though?

TFV60MSfront1.jpg

Plays OK, too, but the frets may need doing before too long. Might upgrade to stainless - any opinions?

Will be going into work over the next few days and then get a chance to plug into various amps and crank it up. Until now I only played it through the shop's fairly basic Randall demo amp. Will also weigh it.

Haven't disassembled it to check the pickups/cavity yet. I'd assume they are the same as were fitted to the TFV50?

How creamy has the white paint on your '84 V gone?

You can get a better idea of mine from this non-flash shot: http://www.firstmail.com/misc/TFV60MStruecolour.jpg

that's about the same creamy white as my 1984 st60, also poly.
great looking axe you've found there. 8)

Thanks guys - interesting that all of these Tokai whites do go creamy. Perhaps not as much as the original Gibson nitro (which can go very dark).

Did I just imagine that other polyester white finishes stay so pure? :)

Will get my V in bits at some point and see if the pickups are the sameas those PAF-stickered ones.

Cool. 1981? So Burny got its act together long before Tokai? And that was when the MSG paint job was still quite new.

Just weighed mine - 2.94kg (about 6.5 pounds).

ampmaker said:
Cool. 1981? So Burny got its act together long before Tokai? And that was when the MSG paint job was still quite new.

Just weighed mine - 2.94kg (about 6.5 pounds).

Yes, '81! But Greco also had a version back then, the MSV-850 with PU-2 pickups. I have heard of a few that even came with Dry-Z's.

Just noticed this!
I can`t wait to get back and pay you a visit, mate.
Great acquisition.

To be honest, this is more of a nostalgia indulgence than a practical player for me. :)

And now that I've played it for a while, the frets are also a lot lower than I normally like.

ampmaker said:
To be honest, this is more of a nostalgia indulgence than a practical player for me. :)

And now that I've played it for a while, the frets are also a lot lower than I normally like.

I needs to be played :) A re-fret and one of these

http://www.flyingvleatheracc.com/flying-v-leg-rest.html

mirrorboy said:
Playing a Flying V sat down is like riding a Harley Davidson wearing pajamas :D

Got to be better than not riding one at all :) As I get older I find I do most things in my Jimjams

mirrorboy said:
Playing a Flying V sat down is like riding a Harley Davidson wearing pajamas :D

Pyjamas? Never heard of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt0lEEI0m6M

Back