Thought's wanted on Ric copies (Tokai?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger L.

Reaction score
I've been searching for a reasonable copy of a Ric, my search has lead me to the Tokai brand. Of course there dosen't seem to be any info on the Tokai site, I was wondering since most here seem to be well acquainted with the brand can you fill me in on some of the missing facts? Any thoughts on costs and reccomendations good or bad of this folly? TIA, Roger 8)

'THE' Rickenbacker company (down the road in Santa Ana) has done its best (worst?) at snuffing out ric copies/clones/replicas, etc., or at least the sale of them here in the U.S. but Tokai was still making them up in to the early 2000's as far as I am aware.

The Tokai ric copies that I've seen (only in Japan, not here in the States), the 325/330 clones, all had bolt-on necks (if that makes a difference to you or not--don't get me wrong, being able to replace them can be an advantage. I've broken the necks on about a 1/10th of all the set neck guitars I've ever owned). Somebody told me about 4 or 5 years ago that the Tokai rics were manufactured in Korea (if that makes a difference to you or not). If that's true, then that hasn't always been the case because I know the older ones were MIJ.

In Japan I've seen ric copies of all description (some good, some not so good) with all kinds of brand names on them (some without any name at all). The only MIJ rics I've ever had were made by Greco some time between 1975 and 1982 (pics below). Even though I'm positive that the Rickenbacker people sure don't think so, I've always considered the Grecos to be 'tributes' because of how well they're made and, to me, they 'look' (except for what's written on the on the TR cover on the headstock logo and the "G" instead of an "R" on the tail piece) and 'sound' just like the originals.....

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

rk%20my%20greco%20ric%20325%2001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

rk%20my%20greco%20ric%20325%2003.jpg

006.jpg

rk%20my%20greco%20ric%20325%2002.jpg

007.jpg

007a.jpg

008.jpg

008a.jpg

009.jpg

009a.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

rk%20my%20greco%20ric%20325%2004.jpg

014.jpg

Do own these guitars? They are beautiful, these are trully what I had in mind. Do you have an idea of what they go for both new and used. So far I have not been able to find any used. Thanks for the great pictures, they sure help me to know what's out there. By the way do they make a Fire Glo in a 12 also? Roger 8)

Roger L. said:
Do own these guitars? They are beautiful, these are trully what I had in mind. Do you have an idea of what they go for both new and used. So far I have not been able to find any used. Thanks for the great pictures, they sure help me to know what's out there. By the way do they make a Fire Glo in a 12 also? Roger 8)
My Fireglo is a 12-string (it's just strung with 6 strings right now). Take a close look at the back of the headstock and you can see the additional tuners.....

rk%20my%20greco%20fireglo.jpg

I bought all of these Grecos used in Japan over about a 10-year period. I think I paid between $200-$400 for each of them. The newest one is 25 years old and the oldest is about 30 years old. I don't know what they went for new but it probably wasn't much more (or could have been less depending of the currency) than I paid for them. The yen to dollar ratio was pretty lop-sided back in the 80's (it's getting that way again but not as bad as it was then) and made MIJ more expensive for Americans to buy. That's one of the reasons a lot of them didn't make it over here for a while. Greco rics are not all that hard to find in Japan but you have to pick through a lot of them to find one that's in excellent shape. I've seen some in the U.S. every now and again but not that many. You'd probably have to just get lucky to find a good one here.

I didn't even consider the Fire Glo was a 12 string. This is really giving me some place to start looking. Have you played it as a twelve? Obviously you must like the sound to have obtained so many. As far as the cracks in the tuner head area, actually that's the most vunerable area fo a break if the grain is not just right these things can and do happen. And as you mentioned with todays glues very fixable, in fact once it's done and done right it is stronger atr the break then the original. Roger 8)

stratman323 said:
Innadaze said:
I've broken the necks on about a 1/10th of all the set neck guitars I've ever owned

How????!!!!! :eek:
I don't go around breaking them on purpose. Usually I had help. Out of 37 or so Gibsons, I've had cracked necks on two LP's, one SG and one ES-335 so far.....

rk%20my%20obg%204%20cracks.jpg

Strats and teles generally bounce pretty well. Even with good hardshell cases, the road and bad behavior take a toll and during much of that time, my balance wasn't all that great. I've just always been surprised that more weren't stolen rather than broken. I used to be pretty hard on cars, girlfriends, shoes and myself--tearing them up (not intentionally) in about equal measure. I've slowed down a lot since then. I started playing when I was 7-years-old, so four broken necks over 45-year period is not that bad.

Most of the damaged necks were cracks from me or someone else whacking something with the headstock or the guitar being dropped or knocked off a stage stand, or being leaned against something not very carefully and falling flat on it's face. LPs especially do not take this well, but it depends on the surface it falls on. As you can see in my pics, I've never destroyed one that could not be repaired. All the luthiers I've ever known have all loved a challenge or just a story for the record books but none of mine were in such shape that they were kept as trophys as I've seen some of my friends do.

Roger L. said:
Re: Wow Innadaze I'm impressed
Thanks but no reason to be. Collecting a lot of guitars is what happens when you've been playing a long time, are obsessive and fall in love with nearly every guitar you see.

Roger L. said:
I didn't even consider the Fire Glo was a 12 string. This is really giving me some place to start looking. Have you played it as a twelve? Obviously you must like the sound to have obtained so many.
I love the sound of it with 12-strings but I don't play it a lot. It mostly stays in the case. I just was lazy the last time it needed strings and put a regular set of six on it. I've always gone through phases of what I like to play but it seems like it's an LP or tele about 90% of the time.

Holy crap! That is the best Ric 360v64 fireglow copy I've ever seen. Would you by any chance be willing to part with it? If you are, I call FIRST DIBBS! :p I've got a no name Ric 12 string copy and that has allowed me to learn how to play 12 strings (at least marginally). I'd love a V64 but can't afford to spend three years saving for it and another three on a waiting list. Seriously, if you ever want to get rid of it, please please please let me know.

J' Rek Vandekar

Back