1986 Custom Edition - Value in the hierarchy of Tokais ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon E

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
New to the forum.
I have a 1986 Custom Edition, white with a mirror gold scratchplate,3 L White pickups (incl 1 humbucker), Ayers Rocker V tremelo, similar to the SD 652 pictured on this page (although this one has 2 humbuckers):-
http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-models.html

I have had this guitar around 15 years, but would now prefer a more standard strat style.
Where does this model stand in terms of relative value (good nick but not immaculate) compared to a typical (if there is such a thing) Tokai standard strat copy ?

I'm a bit of an old f*rt, and not very technical, so any opinions appreciated.

Many thanks

Simon

If it has a standard strat headstock it should be an SD653 (lower left corner):

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai8704.jpg

They are great guitars but valued slightly lower than the strat replicas (at least here in Sweden). I choose between one of those and a JSX70 in 1986 and in the end bought the JSX70. The body wood is ash or alder as on the JSX70. Today I also prefer a guitar without the locking trem but I still have the JSX70 (and a few Tokai strats :) ).

I don't know about the value in the UK but in Sweden you would probably get between ?220-330 if it's in good condition.

Mike

I believe it is the SD653 - thanks Mike.

Looks like I will have to add some money to whatever I might get for it to get my hands on a decent Tokai standard Strat.

I will have to have another search of the web to see if there are any SD653s for sale, now I know the model number.

Cheers

Simon

Simon E said:
.... I will have to have another search of the web to see if there are any SD653s for sale,

Anyone interested in a NOS SR653 SWR (snow white and rosewood fingerboard)?

togps said:
Simon E said:
.... I will have to have another search of the web to see if there are any SD653s for sale,

Anyone interested in a NOS SR653 SWR (snow white and rosewood fingerboard)

Send pix ! :) . Oh no, I am going to buy a Les Paul style. But I always found these Heavy Strats from Tokai so cute ....
What is the price ?

Klaus

Back