which models have 14? angle head. which have 18??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
someone posted a link on the tokairegistry page that had this info, but I can't find it, can anyone help me?

thanks

Pretty sure that since 1980 only the top end models have 18-deg, ie LS320 & maybe LS200 (need to check that one) ... all the rest have 14-deg :-? .

Ian.

The 2002 Japanese LS85Q I just bought has the 18 degree. I measured it against my Historic '60 RI Gibson and almost every dimension was correct with the exception of the neck carve (more like a '59) and the base of the neck was just a hair wider.

The Korean model is 14 degree for sure.

If current LS85 has 18-deg headstock then I think it must be recent development. Except for high-end models noted above, since 1978 all main production of MIJ Tokai appears to be 14-deg. according to catalogues.

Ian.

Here is the one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3781167221&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

It looks way nicer in person. Especially with the nitro top finish now.

One odd thing....the serial is 02XXXX which would be a 2002 but the registration card and owner say 2004. Old stock or just a mistake?

Doesn't matter to me either way but just curious.

I'm at work right now but I will post one tonight for you. I only did the top not the entire guitar. I just wet sanded the top with some 1500 grit to take down any oil, grime, or imperfections and give the nitro a bit of a rough surface to stick to. The poly finish is very thin on that guitar so there was no need to thin it down to the color coat.

You can also just buff up the matt finish with some polish. The neck has gotten glossy just from use.

Very nice looking guitar. I agree that it looks better with your nitro finish work.

Not that it wasn't nice already....

Newfie

So, since I think it fits better in this thread, do you think
the different degrees have an effect on the sound or on the
"playability" (no native english speaker so i I don't know the exact term,
I mean for example how much strength you need to bend the string etc.)
(If yomeone missed the other thread, I ask because my LS70 has 18%)
Greetings,
RnR-Cannonball

TheNasties said:
So, since I think it fits better in this thread, do you think the different degrees have an effect on the sound or on the
"playability"
You can simulate a different angle quite easily "on the other end of the street", i.e. on the bridge side by either raising the tailpiece a few millimeters or centimeters or attaching the strings the wrong way (so they bend over the tailpiece end, not run through it).

I use this ladder method on both of my Tokais, because it sounds more "woody" to me, i.e. more tone, more sustain with a little less tight bass and easier to bend, too.

Nasties, where did you get the 18deg info from? AFAIK, LS70 should have 14deg, certainly that was true for earlier MIJ Tokais. Difference of 4deg is pretty small to measure easily.... it's the diffrence between this \ and this \.

Hans-jurgen ? you can set a sharper or weaker ?break-angle? for the strings at the bridge & tail-piece, and people do that for various reasons & with various beliefs & claims, however, it?s not the same as changing the headstock angle.

Does that angle make a difference to the tone & playing feel? Well, personally I?m skeptical of the claims made re tone-woods & fittings etc., VERY skeptical, however, it is possible that head-stock angle could make a difference to the tone. If you want easier bends then just use lighter strings (or tune down a bit).

Ian.

Hi,

I got it on tuesday from Ishibashi.
It's made in 2005, the S/N starts with 0509(9?) and gets unreadable after that :-/ ,
the print on the back of the head is "Made in Japan".
The Tokai Guitar Warranty only says that it's a LS70 GT and the field for the S/N is empty (which is
probably because they couldn't read it too).
There strings were indeed hard to bend and I tuned it down (like I do it with my other
guitar too) which felt better (maybe it's just cause I'm used to downtunings).

Stefan

Back