Takai acoustics...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused by all of this -

I will add that the Tokai Acoustics I tried recently in Andy's guitar shop, Denmark street London were very poorly finished and were no where near worthy of the price they were selling for - I actually informed them of Tokai continuing to make acoustic guitars as I was looking for one of their Martin type models - they promptly contacted their distributors and bought in a couple of Gibson clones - one being the John Lennon type model - quite awful - not a patch on their electric guitars - what gives?

PH... when posing the question I typed Takai instead of Tokai. As pointed out... takai means expensive in Japanese.
I`ve only ever seen their acoustics on line so I couldn`t judge for myself. Thanks for the constructive input.

Early Tokai acoustics were labelled "Cats Eyes" and some of these were awesome acoustic guitars. Better than a lot of Gibbo, CFM or Takamine that are getting around now.
As with most Tokai things the model number is equivalent to 1,000's of yen and the higher number ones really are worth more than what they were sold for...this was one brand where the addage 'Quality before Quantity" is truly instilled adn adhered to.
I owned a CE150V - and am still kicking myself for giving it away

Peter Mac

I`ve seen both Cat`s Eyes, still being made, and Tokai acoustics. The Cat`s Eyes come in a variety of prices, and from all laminate to all solid. There have been a few Tokai acoustics on line recently here in Japan.

I am agree to Peter Mac, I have CE-180 and is kick *ss awesome! Some people may be misunderstanding as Tokai accoustic series are not common. As tokai guitar fans, you all know Tokai started to make accoustics during 60s (?) and 70s and then Martin come to have a relationship to tokai. What is the relation means? This is the top secret, when something happened to material used at Martin, Tokai forward their materials... upps, Martin gonne sue me, everyone, don't tell it to anyone, keep quiet. :cry:

I told before on another post but I will tell it again here.
Mr Adachi(President of Tokai)was sent to Martin factory for learning how to make them,that would be a credible explanation about how great Tokai acoustic(named Cat's Eye) are,very close to Martin guitars.They are hand made at the factory.There was a very clear connection between Tokai and Martin,being Tokai a Martin distributor.If you want to learn more about Tokai acoustics you can check for a page run by a japanese guy on links section.I would like to see acoustic building next time I will go to Hamamatsu,but it is not possible to travel to Japan everyday,and I need Mr. Adachi permission to let me visiting the factory again.I don't want to abuse Mr. Adachi kind.

Hi guys,

about my old CE-150V....replica of a 40's Martin HD-35....
solid spruce top with SOLID rosewood back and sides, a one piece mahogany "V" neck with ebony fingerboard, an ebony bridge, a bone nut and the flower-pot pearl inlay in the headstock - all very impressive workmanship but my favourite part (and the reason it caught my attention in the first place) was the exquisite herringbone inlay around the top. Very few guitars employ this feature as it is very time-consuming but in my mind it is the attention to little details that shows of the craft.
I worked the nut and bridge to give me an action similar to my Strat (low) and still had no fret buzz, but the projection of this guitar was phenominal - you could literally do an acoustic gig without miking the thing up. The 1977 Gibson Dove i owned fell well short on all counts to this Cats Eyes.

****, my 2 cents just ran out...

Peter Mac

So the Tokai acoustics were being made befroe the Cat`s Eyes? As mentioned, I have seen both on line, some with Tokai on the headstock.

yup, sneaky. As far as I recall, the order is;
Tokai dynamic guitar (like Yamaha used to make it)
Humming bird
CE

Hey Peter, have you tried (or even seen) very good CE like CE-1000 or CE1500??? They looks absolute gorgeous...

no I haven`t seen any, nor do I expect to in Sendai. I have been buying on the interner recently in Japan so I might see one on line.

http://www.sonicsystem.co.jp/webguitar/image/TOKAI/ce1200m/ce1200m8.JPG
interesting pic

Yes,you are right sneaky.I can't understand why Tokai Cat's eye acoustics aren't well known by people.Maybe it is our time to help.

Back