fake?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinbluesfan

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260526005251&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Came across this speciman and after looking at the headstock it seems it is different than ES's I see at richtone. I'm assuming it is a ES - any expert thoughts?

Yep, thats a fake alright and i don't have pics of them in that colour......Thanks mate...
Looks like this guy thinks he's smart, changed the machine heads and took off the "make in Korea" transfer off the back of the headstock...

Mick

No, he didn't change anything on the guitar, that's the original spec on those guitars. They were also available with a knock-off Bigsby. I think they were actually 'make in china' :wink:

oh dear!

it's the people who have to knock these fakes out i feel sorry for...

not the twats who buy them....!!!

....OK then Mr Jockai ...write a song about it then !!(he said to himself)...

Hey, I think I resemble that remark... :D
I have one with the knock off bigsby. No need to feel sorry for me though, I'm quite happy with the guitar. Had never heard of Tokai when I bought it a couple years ago, but I always cared more about how a guitar plays and sounds than who's name is on it. It blew away every other 335 copy I had tried costing double the price and more (I had an $800 budget to stick to). Better hardware, fit and finish and tone. Found it in a store in a shopping mall of all places, selling pianos, sheet music and about half a dozen guitars.
I was told it was the first production run from the Chinese factory and that's why it had no decal in the body or serial number. For $300 you can't go wrong, but from what I have read here lately (didn't know you guys existed til about a week ago) I would be a little leery about selling it on.

Spider19 said:
No, he didn't change anything on the guitar, that's the original spec on those guitars. They were also available with a knock-off Bigsby. I think they were actually 'make in china' :wink:

Sorry mate but you are wrong, i have hundreds of pictures of these guitars and Ozeshin and myself are building a website about the "fakes as well. Apart from the fact i have had these verified by Tokai. Tokai NEVER used that headstock logo. Do a search for "fakes" and read away.... Oh and they are made in Korea...

Mick

I didn't mean to imply I thought that the guitar was legit, just that he hadn't changed anything on it. From what I've read here lately there is definitely something fishy about them. In fact, I had asked the shop keeper about the lack of a decal because that struck me as odd.
Are you sure it was made in Korea, because it came in a box that said Tokai on it, and made in China as well?

Oh, and I did search for Fakais (I like that term) over the last week or so and saw plenty of those 'Make in Korea' decals, but my guitar never had one, and it came with those Grover tuners. Just thought the 'make in China' comment would be funny.

It is quite possible that they are being made in China now as i have seen Chinese Tokai and OBG fakes coming out of China Actually any brand worth money is coming out of China. It would be quite ironic if the Chinese have been faking the wrong models......Fakes of Fakes anyone...? :p

Tokai's don't have Grovers also....

Mick

I bought the guitar about 2 years ago now, and when I first started looking around this site thought it might really be the first production ES-60 out of China (like I was told), but I have done some more looking around. It seems that mine is one of the ones out of the Shine factory in Korea (along with the Tanglewood/Douglas/Dillion/Shine semi-hollowbodies). It has that flowerery inlay on the headstock so I'm pretty sure it's not actually from China after all, but it definetly came in a box marked Tokai, along with a model number DH-502-BL and labelled Made in China. Maybe they boxed them that way to disguise their origin....????

But Fakais do have Grovers....

Pat

Latest posts

Back