Its back on Ebay-"Tokai Navigator"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willivory

Reaction score
Check this out. Ebay item #866364722. Seller insists this beautiful guitar with Gibson on the headstock is a Tokai Navigator. Apparently there is no documentation to this effect. Any ideas about this one?

Um, the word 'Tokai' doesn't appear anywhere on the ad. The seller blathers on ad nauseam about it being a Japanese 'golden era' guitar but thats about it. Maybe it is a quality replica from the 70s, but I don't see anyway of verifying it. The only 'Navigator' guitars I've heard of are by ESP, but I don't know what era they're from.

Wow, you're right. However, I'm certain the first time on Ebay it was described as a "Tokai Navigator". That's what prompted my interest and the reason I brought it to the forum's attention. Still an interesting piece, though.

Maybe they put 'Tokai' in the title of the original ad, so that when people did a keyword search it would find it. I've noticed a lot of sellers doing that to get more exposure for their ad. Its annoying, especially the ones who are trying to sell some unbranded guitar and they say "maybe its a Tokai?".
Anyway, it does look like a nice guitar. Maybe its a bargain (is that a solid flame top?), or maybe its not (or is it a laminate?). I think if you tried it out in a shop and it was good then fair enough, but buying it site unseen would be a real gamble.

Come to think of it maybe its a bluff and its just a real Gibson and the whole vintage replica thing has reached the point where having the old Tokai/Ibanez/whatever is considered more desirable than 'the real thing'. :lol:

With old Tokais prices raising,there will come a time where you will buy the original cheaper....

That's a possibility given the fact that the Tokai replicas preceded the Gibson and Fender replicas, including the Guitar Trader and Heritage 80 Les Pauls. Its nice to be able to purchase a vintage instrument at a reasonable price now. Wonder how long that will last?

Latest posts

Back