New member and Q about a Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brads

Reaction score
Hello,

Have lurked on this good forum for awhile as I searched for a Tokai LP, and may have found one.

It presumably is a 1985 Love Rock with a 1-piece back and a solid flamed top. He does not know the model number. I have a couple pics and hope maybe some of the experts can weigh in on just what it might be. I am awaiting serial number. (It has been refretted and pickups replaced). Thanks!!

PC260962.jpg

PC260977.jpg

1985 LS80...I have it's twin sister.
l_fa17b8ee4ca38414443b6b27b401c95f.jpg

l_fbf96d6fb01ef5f43541b67e8afac891.jpg

And yes...that IS the same colour...clownbursts always look different under lights...and mine has EMG pickups now.

I'd say it was a 95 . I don't think the dimpled headstock was around in 85. Tuners have been changed to Grovers too - along with the trussrod cover. Most people don't change the older 80's Gibson like cover as yours has Oz

marcusnieman said:
I'd say it was a 95 . I don't think the dimpled headstock was around in 85. Tuners have been changed to Grovers too - along with the trussrod cover. Most people don't change the older 80's Gibson like cover as yours has Oz

I'd go along with that. It's got the exact same headstock shape that my 2004 one had. It also looks in remarkably good condition for a 1985.

Grover tuners are non-standard too, but I have them on mine and they're a good upgrade. All depends how much of a stickler for originality you are.

Will you be getting the original pickups included in the sale?

brads said:
I am awaiting serial number. (It has been refretted and pickups replaced). Thanks!!

Get more pictures from the seller - the back (I doubt it's one piece), back of the headstock, pickup cavity, control cavity, etc.

Here's an 85 LS150 for reference:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12135

And build specs:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/2/26/20060408002929!Tokai.jpg

quote Seems a entry model with veneer top.
No fretbinding...

It has a solid flamed top and a 1-piece back. It's been refretted so if it had fret binding, that may have covered it up.

The serial number according to the Tokai registry can only be from 1985.

A little rough research indicates Tokai added the dimple around 1984.

I'm not trying to defend this guitar. I'd really rather not spend the money on it. But if it is from 1985 with the above features, I can't pass it up at the price he's offering it for ($700).

Do what you want.....you asked for our input, you got it.

One last nugget, $700 for an 85 LS150 is ridiculously low. Good luck.

Well, whatever it is, it looks nice. Even if it's an LS75 or similar that's still a fair price, and if it's as good to play as it is to look at then who cares what it is? Guitars are for playing, not locking away in a vault while they go up in value

I still don't think it's an LS150 though. Unless the guy doesn't know what an LS150 is worth.

I also would have thought that an '85 Nitro-finished guitar (or even a thin-skin Poly finish) that had been played enough to warrant a refret would look an awful lot more "Relic-ish" than that one.

Tried an acetone test? Whip the neck pickup out and show us a picture of the tenon joint. That'll help identify it too.

marcusnieman said:

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. It does seem too good to be true.

Goestoeleven said:
Well, whatever it is, it looks nice. Even if it's an LS75 or similar that's still a fair price, and if it's as good to play as it is to look at then who cares what it is? Guitars are for playing, not locking away in a vault while they go up in value

I still don't think it's an LS150 though. Unless the guy doesn't know what an LS150 is worth.

I also would have thought that an '85 Nitro-finished guitar (or even a thin-skin Poly finish) that had been played enough to warrant a refret would look an awful lot more "Relic-ish" than that one.

Tried an acetone test? Whip the neck pickup out and show us a picture of the tenon joint. That'll help identify it too.

Thanks for you input. In his email he says it is a bit banged up with dings and finish wear. The one other thing he said of interest is that it has the correct headstock angle. I haven't actually seen it, but since he's local, I guess it's worth a look.

Whoever he is, he doesn't know what the intonation screws do, does he? Although they do look lovely and neat all arranged in a straight line like that. :lol:

Bear in mind that even an "Entry-level" Japanese Tokai is still nothing to be sneezed at, especially when compared to what other manufacturers are producing these days in the Far East.

Taking a look in person is the best idea. Play it and see if it's worth $700 to you, then make a decision based on that rather than what it may or may not be worth as an investment. Good luck! - And let us know how you get on. :D

brads said:
marcusnieman said:

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. It does seem too good to be true.

No problem. From what he's telling you and what he's selling it for, it's not an LS150. In his defense, he probably doesn't know what it is - if he were truly dishonest, he'd be selling it as an 85 LS150 for double (or more) what he's asking now - and we'd be squawking at you louder.

Ya I agree no way it's an 85'. Probably an 05'
The finish id def poly
Take a look at some authentic love rocks from this era

benzem said:
Ya I agree no way it's an 85'. Probably an 05'
The finish id def poly
Take a look at some authentic love rocks from this era

It's not an 05 - serial number begins with 50***

Best guess is a 95.

Another email from the seller says he doesn't actually know if it is a solid maple top, because he hasn't popped the neck pickup.

So, it's likely a veneer.

I'm somewhat confident it's from 1985. According to the Tokai Registry dating data, it would have to have 95 as the first two digits of the serial number if it was from 1995.

This one has 5025XXX which apparently means 85, 2nd run of that year. It has its controls on a circuit board like the old ones.

So, maybe it's a lower model flamed veneer top with poly finish. Given the refret and the replaced pickups, does $700 still seem in the ballpark?

As I said, if you're buying it as an investment then the refret and different pickups will knacker the collector's appeal anyway.

But who gives a rat's about collectors? The simple answer is to play it and see if it's worth 700 green ones to you. If it is, then buy it! If not, there'll be another one along soon.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. :D

I really don't think a refret will devalue any guitar, because sooner or later if regularly played, any guitar including the "collectable" ones will need it. It looks lika a gorgeous guitar and at that price it is still a great buy. If it has a veneer and is an 1985 it should be a ls80. Oze gigs regularly with his and it kicks arse. it will have a 2 piece back if its an LS80 and that isn't anything to worry about, Oze and I have been playing for a combined 70+ years {christ i'm feelin old.. :eek:} and our go too guitars are both 2 piece backs, Tokai's joins are so good a lot of people think they are 1 piece bodies.

Mick

Back