Woohoo! First Tokai.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveFerguson

Reaction score
Just agreed to buy my first Tokai and I pick it up on Sunday. :)

It is a 1978 Les Paul Reborn LS-50. Everything (as far as we can tell) is stock.

Can anyone tell me anything more from the SN other than the year? (8001948)

Pics are here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330438654181

As far as I can tell, and feel free to correct me, it has a 3 piece plain maple top and is in pretty awesome nick.

We're pretty sure it's a LS-50 not a 60 as the auction said and I managed to get it for well under the BiN. :)

So I picked up the Tokai today and I have to say, the eBay pics didn't even come close to doing it justice. Neither do these, but they do give you slightly more idea. It plays and sounds amazing. I am one happy happy bunny!

Tokai1.jpg

Tokai2.jpg

Tokai3.jpg

Tokai5.jpg

Tokai6.jpg

Tokai4.jpg

Thanks guys.

Any ideas where I can get replacement pots and switch that will just drop straight in without redrilling any holes? I'd be after a couple of log pots and a couple of linear.

I want to avoid drilling, so I restore it to original later of needs be. (Assuming it's all original at the moment; all the pots are wired into a circuit board. Is that normal for one of these guitars?)

Also any idea as to value would be good so I can ensure it is insured correctly.

SteveFerguson said:
Thanks guys.

Any ideas where I can get replacement pots and switch that will just drop straight in without redrilling any holes? I'd be after a couple of log pots and a couple of linear.

It would help to know where you are in order to answer that. Alpha pots will fit, CTS won't.

Ah, sorry!

I'm in Aldershot, UK.

Many thanks for that. Do I need long shaft pots or short?

Short shaft pots.

Great guitar - my first Tokai was a '78 LS60. Congrats!

Thanks guys, though to be honest, I'm loving the sound of the guitar as is and I'm not sure I want to mess with it at the moment! It's the first LP where I have actually loved the middle pickup setting and the neck setting with the tone rolled down to 8 is AWESOME! I'm worried I might lose some of that if I change the electrics. :)

Tis an awesome guitar though. Loving it to bits. Definitely a Tokai convert and eyeing up my next purchase already. (SHHHH! Don't tell the Mrs!) :lol:

Don't change anything you will spoil this fine instrument (its far too early for experimentations)!You need to do one thing only.... play,play,play as long as you can and then figure out what parts you want to change!Great guitar,its a keeper!!!!

Latest posts

Back