Why the weight differences ??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
~1985 Burny RLC @ 8 lb. 15 oz. (ALL mahogany )

~1985 Burny RLG @ 8 lb. 15 oz. (this is my "last one standing" Les Paul )

~1988 Burny RLG @ 8 lb. 14 oz.

~1985 Burny RLG @ 8 lb. 10 oz. (currently for sale)

1982 Greco MC/EG- gold top @ 8 lb. 13 oz.

~2000 Bacchus BLS-120S @ 8 lb. 14 oz.

~2000 Bacchus BLS-59 @ 8 lb. 13 oz.

2000 Tokai LS-320 @ 9 lb. 3 oz. (weighed without pick guard/not installed )

----------------------------------------------------------------

~1985 Burny RLG @ 9 lb. 4 oz. (recently sold)

1989 Greco MC/EG - plain top @ 8 lb. 8 oz. (recently sold)

1996 Orville - gold top @ 8 lb. 7 oz. (sold to TF member)

Back to the original topic, this is truly the kind of factual weight info that is needed. Thanks a bunch for posting.
Just recently I stopped by an Ikebe guitar store in Shibuya (Tokyo), Japan to check out the Lester weights. It was interesting to see they have all the new Tokai Pacifix Exclusive LS-5 there; only 12 made by the way. Lemmon and cherry burst coloring. Weights for them on the sale tags were 3.6kg and up. I then checked out the many Lesters and the range was the same. The issue remains, why the weight relieving. The sales guy there said it was just the species of wood being heavier for the Gibsons necessitating the removal of wood. Hmmmmmm.
I also quizzed him on his view of the better; Tokai and Lester. To quote: the Gibson sound and tone is truly Les Paul. We sell many more of them. The Tokai is better craftsmanship but a different tone...

markcus58 said:
~1985 Burny RLC @ 8 lb. 15 oz. (ALL mahogany )

~1985 Burny RLG @ 8 lb. 15 oz. (this is my "last one standing" Les Paul )

~1988 Burny RLG @ 8 lb. 14 oz.

~1985 Burny RLG @ 8 lb. 10 oz. (currently for sale)

1982 Greco MC/EG- gold top @ 8 lb. 13 oz.

~2000 Bacchus BLS-120S @ 8 lb. 14 oz.

~2000 Bacchus BLS-59 @ 8 lb. 13 oz.

2000 Tokai LS-320 @ 9 lb. 3 oz. (weighed without pick guard/not installed )

----------------------------------------------------------------

~1985 Burny RLG @ 9 lb. 4 oz. (recently sold)

1989 Greco MC/EG - plain top @ 8 lb. 8 oz. (recently sold)

1996 Orville - gold top @ 8 lb. 7 oz. (sold to TF member)

Back to the original topic, this is truly the kind of factual weight info that is needed. Thanks a bunch for posting.
Just recently I stopped by an Ikebe guitar store in Shibuya (Tokyo), Japan to check out the Lester weights. It was interesting to see they have all the new Tokai Pacifix Exclusive LS-5 there; only 12 made by the way. Lemmon and cherry burst coloring. Weights for them on the sale tags were 3.6kg and up. I then checked out the many Lesters and the range was the same. The issue remains, why the weight relieving. The sales guy there said it was just the species of wood being heavier for the Gibsons necessitating the removal of wood. Hmmmmmm.
I also quizzed him on his view of the better; Tokai and Lester. To quote: the Gibson sound and tone is truly Les Paul. We sell many more of them. The Tokai is better craftsmanship but a different tone...

And thats probably down to the pickups. Also remember that that is also his opinion and he's selling the guitars, the Gibson is more expensive so he has good reason to say that. I must also say that the Japanese are crazy over everything American and that Gibson makes better guitars for the Japanese market anyway, basically they have too as the Japanese guitar makers produce a world class guitar. My 2 are both Honduras mahogany and hard maple tops, Aluminium tail piece and brass saddle bridge, so mine are not only better build quality but better wood as well. I find it hard to believe actually that unless you are talking high end Gibson guitars that the tone is better and better is subjective. The standards have a shody neck joint with gaps all round it and cheaper wood, i suspect if they are really heavy that Gibson has been using Brazillian mahogany, this wood is generally heavier than the African variety.
Also Gibsons tone is purely mahogany and maple, nothing more nothing less, and that is relatively easy to reproduce, there's no magic in it just the right materials. Now if you are talking the sound then pickups and hardware come into it. I have replaced the pickups in both of mine and so has Oze and these guitars are pure Les Paul, no doubt about it.

Mick

Also Gibsons tone is purely mahogany and maple, nothing more nothing less, and that is relatively easy to reproduce, there's no magic in it just the right materials. Now if you are talking the sound then pickups and hardware come into it. I have replaced the pickups in both of mine and so has Oze and these guitars are pure Les Paul, no doubt about it.
OMG I could NOT agree more..!!!!
I used to own a Gibbo...a 1978 Tobbaco burst Standard.
It had amazing pickups and that classic LP tone...but to be honest....so does my 1980 LS80 AND more to the point my Tokai FEELS nicer to play and is set up better than the Gibbo and because I've played it almost every day since 1982 it is Ingrained and as much a part of me as my own hands are.
Sure...Mick's Goldie took me about 15 minutes to warm to...but now I'm looking to shank him in a dark alley and nick that guitar...!!!!

Ozeshin said:
OMG I could NOT agree more..!!!!
I used to own a Gibbo...a 1978 Tobbaco burst Standard.
It had amazing pickups and that classic LP tone...but to be honest....so does my 1980 LS80 AND more to the point my Tokai FEELS nicer to play and is set up better than the Gibbo and because I've played it almost every day since 1982 it is Ingrained and as much a part of me as my own hands are.
Sure...Mick's Goldie took me about 15 minutes to warm to...but now I'm looking to shank him in a dark alley and nick that guitar...!!!!

I'm kinda glad you said shank and not shag..... :eek:

Mick

Latest posts

Back