Who made this les paul?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneleigh

Reaction score
I have a guitar from when I turned 16 y.o (1987) My parents told me they got it at a pawn shop in Hollywood Ca. The serial on it is 8 1403. There is no other markings on the head. The tailpiece says "LP-S -made in japan" and the volume pots are stamped 504042. I personally put the seymor duncans in around 1989, replaced the tune-o-matic bridge (it's stamped ibanez I think) and most recently the round rhythm/treble plate. And I also did the crappy soldering job on it and burning my initials into the "bell" plate. (Hey I was a kid) Everything else is original. There's a little chunk missing in the 2nd fret ( I intend to fill with a wood putty) and there are a number of paint dings from the years of toting it around but it sounds great and I love it for sentimental reasons. Anyway, I found this site and it seems like you guys are pretty good at figuring these Japanese guitars out. And who made what.
So please let me know what you think it might be. Thanks!! Here's a few pics of my baby.

Dsc04839_1.jpg

Dsc04843_1.jpg

Dsc04842_1.jpg

Dsc04845_1.jpg

Dsc04844_1.jpg

Dsc04847_1.jpg

Hey welcome to the forums....
We need to see the pickup cavities with the pickups out...as many manufacturers place stamps/ink markings that can help to I.D. them.
It's a 3 piece neck.... but a one piece back from what I can tell.
Has the headstock even been painted over?
Is there an outline of a sticker anywhere?

Hey thanks for the reply. Nope it's never been painted, and never to my knowledge had any sticker whatsoever. When I received it I actually thought it was brand new. I was told it was les paul copy and that was that. I just put on new strings today and I checked both pup cavity's and there are NO stamps or identifying numbers.

Was there a screw holding down the tenon joint in the front pickup route?

Hmmmm...is there a "Made in Japan" stamped into the underside of the tailpiece at all?
How about the original pickups...any stickers on the underside?

That transition neck joint looks alot like an mid 80's Burny.

I posted this on another site and they thought it might be a burny too. But because of the serial #, I think it's a 1978. And from my own investigating I'm leaning towards a FLG series. It has been determined that possibly the headstock was painted over. And possibly the tuners were replaced at one point. I think I'm going to post this in the burny forum.

yes the underside of the tailpiece says "made in japan, LP-S" I replaced the pup's and don't have the originals anymore. I don't know what happened to them.

Back