Which current Lovel Rock model to buy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter S.

Reaction score
Hi,

I plan to buy a Japanese Love Rock, but information about the current models is pretty scarce:

Does anyone know what the difference is between the current LS-80F, the LS-120F, and the LC80 model, other than the finish?

AFAIK, the LS-120F has brass saddles and an aluminum tailpiece - what kind of difference does this make compared to the LS-80F's tailpiece and saddles?

Do all these models have the same neck profile, etc. or does this vary among these models (again this is not mentioned in the translated Tokai catalogs I found on the web).

PS: The LS-120F seems to come without a pickguard, is it possible to add one afterwards?

Many thanks & very best wishes

-Peter-

I am after a new LR with a chunky neck also, never on any literature does it state anything a out neck profiles...

Cherry Sunburst + maple top with a chunky = which model??

I'd be interested in hearing any specs on the 120 - especially since I'm pretty sure the 200 deosn't have an alu tailpiece :eek:

Pretty much all tokais are 50's neck as far as I've seen.

8-bit; if you want a plain top, you want the ls 60 (now renamed ls 75).

Peter; I think the Custom is basically the 60/75 with the custom trimmings. The 80f is pretty much the same only with a flame veneer top. The pickguard issue - mine came with one supplied in the case with the bracket, but no holes drilled. Best bet would be to take it to a technician to have them drilled for you.

Hi,

Paladin2019 said:
I'd be interested in hearing any specs on the 120 - especially since I'm pretty sure the 200 deosn't have an alu tailpiece :eek:

these specs were sent to me by g.s.Universe:

LS120F
Body/Flamed maple laminated:rock maple top:Mahogany back
Neck/Mahogany One piece set-neck
Fingerbord/Rose wood
Pickups/PAF-vintage MK2
Finish/Lacquer finish
Color/Cherry_sunburst/Violin_finish
Other/ Aluminum Tailpieces, Brass saddle bridge
A case is not included.
Made in Japan.

Cheers

-Peter-

Thanks for that Peter. :D

Interesting. Sounds like an LS80f, only with lacquer finish and those bridge/tailpiece upgrades. All worth having IMO, though the hardware could be added aftermarket to any model (might be more expensive than just buying them in the first place though). I wonder if the finish is 'proper' lacquer or the poly/nitro mix seen on the next model up?

Does anyone actually own an aluminium Les Paul tailpiece? How much do they weigh? I've never been sure if my guitar has one or not, and if the 120 does then I'm officially confused. :-?

my experience - from telecasters - is that brass will give less treble than steel. it will also have a slightly more compressed sound. it's nice for the plain strings, but not so nice for the wound strings.

GOT A ALU TAILPIECE ON MY 1985 LS 70 . SUPPOSED TO GIVE BETTER TONE AND SUSTAIN, BUT TO ME I DONT HEAR THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERANCE. THEN THATS ME, TRY ONE AND HEAR FOR YOURSELF. THEY CAN BE QUITE PRICEY THOUGH, MINE COST IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY ABOUT ?50 , BUT HAVE SEEN THEM ON E BAY FOR A LOT LESS

Back