TST-60 Goldstar (new member, new guitar)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie_mc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just signed up to the forum after picking up a TST-60 Goldstar which I think is from 1984. I have read through a number of the posts here to see what other people have and what information is usually requested when a new guitar is found, so here is what I have:

- TST-60 ('60' and 'Made in Japan' stickers on back of neck)
- Four digit serial number (2353)
- Metallic red colour
- V shape neck
- E stamped pickups
- 9=4 (X?) stamped on back on neck
- 9=4 MR Y stamped in control cavity

I also took a number of pictures which can be seen here:
http://yfrog.com/ngguitar1qjx

The guitar is practically new with no fret wear and only a few very light body impressions/scratches (hardly noticeable at all). Also, from what I can tell, it hasn't gone through any alterations.

There is one strange thing about the guitar though. Five of the tuning pegs are stamped 'DELUXE' on the back while the B string is stamped 'ROBIN'. Except for the text, all of the pegs are completely identical and have aged the same.

Let me know what you think...! I picked this one up without knowing a lot about it, but I knew that Tokai was respected and produced amazing instruments (a friend of mine has been playing an '82 Breezy 4 digit serial for 20+ years and it is a fantastic guitar). This guitar is no different... I think it is the nicest strat I've ever played.

Anyone know how rare the TST-60's are? If many red ones have come up? Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie

The model, TST is not very rara. But it seems the CAR TST is fairly rare.
I had a TST80, exactly the same as yours but nitro finish.

P1050662-1.jpg

P1050663-1.jpg

Heres mine! (again), and with the really nice flame in the neck.

tst60005.jpg

Mine has U stamped pickups, TST60 from 1984 had ST Vintage pups, both E and U stamped were called ST Vintage (since 1982).
The TST60 is nice reasonable copy of a 1956 strat, because Fender had baseball bat U shape profiles from 1954 to 1955, changing to soft V in 1956 and hard V (clapton favourite) in 1957.....hmm is that why a 1957 chevy also has sharp V fins on the back? :eek: :lol: whereas the 1956 chevy is soft V fins also.... :lol: ....coincidental? same dupont paint too, right?

So on some 56 strats you will find soft V shape neck, round string retainer, and 4 digit serial.

I am very happy with my TST60 Goldstar, a great guitar! 8)

St 60 Goldstars are great guitars,I have two,both have E pickups which I like a lot,and both have V maple necks.Congratulations you have a fine guitar.As for the Robin tuning peg,Tokai made some of the Robin models so it is likely that this peg ended up in the wrong parts bin at the factory. Gabe.

Back