TST-56 Specs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure. 1983 at the earliest.

As I said, when you opened it did you see a code stamped in ink in one of the body cavities or the end of the neck that had an "=" or a "-"?

KuU2gxQ.png

It may be that the TST had ash bodies and the AST alder? I don't know.

Can you post a better/closer picture showing the wood grain?

And these guitars are a gray area for me personally. I have focused more on the period before 1983.

Other folks will probably chime in later.

That looks like alder to me. Hmmm.

The "-" replaced the "=" sometime in 1985 I believe? Does the neck code match the body code?

Very curious if it is alder knowing that in 1983 they spec'd ash. That would suggest a different year.

I am wondering if it is from 1984 or 1985?

I hope someone else comes along that knows more about these. I'm just fitting together clues. Someone else may have a fuller view of things like Peter Mac.

Under the pickguard. Usually under the neck pickup. Sometimes in the control cavity.

That could indicate if the body and neck were mated at the factory. The first number is thought to be the month made. So these should be close if not the same number.

:eek:

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 12.24.56 PM.png

That’s an HSH not an HSS! Hmmmm.

If it’s a Tokai body, the code could be under the shielding paint, but I’ve never seen an 80s HSH Tokai.

Routs look very different on the wells for the pickup ears.

I also see someone notched the body to access the truss rod screw.

Here is side by side with an HSS Tokai for comparison.

XHJ3lFI.jpg

Last edited:
I’m leaning towards Partscaster now.

Those routs look odd and that color is very unusual. I’ve never seen a cherry sunburst Tokai ST.

Does the neck have more than four holes drilled in it? I’m wondering how the body aligned with that neck?

Found this re: the neck anyway.

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys

just to add to things
The AST-56 and AST-62 were not numbered after price but the years they were replicating. The AST-40 however did cost 40,000yen.
The 7okai fat-script is unique to 82-83 US model guitars
Basswood was not used until 88-89 build season and even then only on the TST-40.

about a refernce book...i'm trying to write it.

regards

Peter Mac

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3400&p=13238&hilit=tst+56#p13238

Neck has only the four standard mounting holes and it sets up perfectly with the body.
Oh well, I love the neck and the pickups so I am happy with whatever it is.
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it

Hi guys,

so this appears to be a TST-56 Tokai neck placed onto some generic body.
For a start, TST & AST 56/62 were never offered in Cherry Sunburst.
Colour options were BB, BL, CAR, FO, GM, GS, LPB, MR, OF, OR, OW, SW and YSO.
No CS amongst that lot.
Also the tuners have been replaced from the Gotoh SD91 Nickel originals to chrome 10mm enclosed style.
I have owned a few of these over the decades and the original ones are very good. I will confirm that both styles had the Springy
routing - SSS, not SSH or HSH.

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks Peter!

Any idea when the TST and AST with modified headstock were first exported? Does this timeline match the block logo introduction in the UK by October 1982?

Back