Trio Greco

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacco

Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to show off my 3 Greco's & some additional info for the ones interested for my 1000st post 8)

Afbeelding010_01.jpg

1980 EG800GS
SN: 0 1882
weight: 4.05 kg/9.0 lbs
nut width: 43.0 mm
neck thickness at 1st fret: 23.0 mm
neck thickness at 11th fret: 25.0 mm
Hot Licks with SN 200325, RDC: neck 8.24, bridge 8.27
2P maple top/2P maho back, nitro finish, east indian RW fretboard, feb, 300k/100k pots, 0.022 PIO caps.
Special:
No headstock decal

Afbeelding018_01-1.jpg

1980 EGF1800
SN: 0 8123
weight: 4.35kg/9.6 lbs
nut width: 43.9 mm
neck thickness at 1st fret: 23.0 mm
neck thickness at 11th fret: 25.5 mm
Dry Zs with SN 201121, RDC: neck 7.52, bridge 7.46
2P maple top, nitro finish, brazilian RW fretboard, feb, 500k pots, 0.022 PIO caps.
Special:
1P back

DSC_0944_01-1.jpg

1981 EGC1000
SN: G814341
weight: 4.70kg/10.35 lbs
nut width: 44.1 mm
neck thickness at 1st fret: 22.9 mm
neck thickness at 11th fret: 25.8 mm
Dry Zs with SN 210605, RDC: neck 7.23, bridge 7.21
2P maple top/2P maho back, nitro finish, ebony fretboard, feb, 300k/100k pots, 0.022 ceramic disc caps.
Special:
Maple top, creme white finish, speed knobs and factory installed Grovers (special order RR model?)

Afbeelding018_01-1.jpg

jacco said:
Thanks guys.
What do you need?

Pics of the underside of those EGF-1800 Dry-Zs.
Was wondering if they are wax potted or not, what type of Z stamp they have (have seen two versions of the stamps on them)...

I see you like the Faber hardware :D I absolutely love the Goldtop and the Custom, they are such great lookers and I bet they sound great too.

Quite remarkable how low in output the Dry Z's are for humbuckers isn't it?

triniloverock said:
jacco said:
Thanks guys.
What do you need?

Was wondering if they are wax potted or not, what type of Z stamp they have (have seen two versions of the stamps on them)...

alright mr dsuspense

I've only got old pictures with a bad camera, don't want to pop 'em now. Also added a pic of the DryZs my former EGF1800.

1980 EGF1800 1

DSCN3698.jpg

That's exactly the same code as yours btw.w How did yours measure again?

1980 EGF1800 2

DSCN3597.jpg

1981 EGC1000

8.jpg

Emiel said:
I see you like the Faber hardware :D I absolutely love the Goldtop and the Custom, they are such great lookers and I bet they sound great too.

Quite remarkable how low in output the Dry Z's are for humbuckers isn't it?

Hey Emiel! Faber is something of an acquired taste. The locking bridge and/or studs definitely do something to the sound. I don't always like it. Recently I tried it on a 2005 Navigator NLP-480 with P90s and every Faber addition actually made it sound worse.

The custom is the best sounding LP I own for sure.

About the Dry Z's I measured on the tip of the jack so the pot was in the circuit. I recently learned that with a 500k pot in the circuit pup with 7.5 value would measure 7.38 with pot. I don't want to unsolder the leads though.

The Kloppmann 58 neck pup also measures 7.21 btw, GREAT pup!!

Congrats "Mille" jacco. :wink:

jacco said:

The Kloppmann is it as good as it?s price? I mean, is it substantially better than other (half priced) boutique pu?s? I?m asking this because I?m interested in their P90?s.
PS; sound and tone is personal preference, but I would like to have your opinion.

Thanks, yes those are the same codes as my Zs.
Mine measure N - 7.24 and B - 8.25

I will one day have to test Z-s with 500k pot to see how they sound.
I assume a little darker than with a 300K pot (which is stock in my EGF 850).

Regarding unsoldering leads, I see no issues doing that on these Grecos, their soldering is so clean that a pickup swap is almost unnoticable if you do it right.

jacco said:
triniloverock said:
jacco said:
Thanks guys.
What do you need?

alright mr dsuspense

I've only got old pictures with a bad camera, don't want to pop 'em now. Also added a pic of the DryZs my former EGF1800.

1980 EGF1800 1

DSCN3698.jpg

That's exactly the same code as yours btw.w How did yours measure again?

1980 EGF1800 2

DSCN3597.jpg

1981 EGC1000

8.jpg

triniloverock said:

Regarding unsoldering leads, I see no issues doing that on these Grecos, their soldering is so clean that a pickup swap is almost unnoticable if you do it right.

Hmmm I will recheck both bridge pups again tonight. Maybe I made a mistake.
BTW I do have 1981 500k Fujigen pots lying around. If I choose not to use them on my EG800, you can have them if you're interested.

jacco said:
Hey Emiel! Faber is something of an acquired taste. The locking bridge and/or studs definitely do something to the sound. I don't always like it. Recently I tried it on a 2005 Navigator NLP-480 with P90s and every Faber addition actually made it sound worse.

About the Dry Z's I measured on the tip of the jack so the pot was in the circuit. I recently learned that with a 500k pot in the circuit pup with 7.5 value would measure 7.38 with pot. I don't want to unsolder the leads though.

Interesting you mention that Faber can improve or worsen the guitar's sound, the latter definitely happened with my ex-Gibbo. I'm quite happy with the Faber on my Tokai (though I noticed it is the old style locking bridge with not removable saddles so the intonation on the D string is a bit off).

In August/September I hope to live in Rotterdam: I think we should meet fairly soon after that ;)

Now where's the cash for some new pickups!!

felixcatus said:
Congrats "Mille" jacco. :wink:

jacco said:

The Kloppmann is it as good as it?s price? I mean, is it substantially better than other (half priced) boutique pu?s? I?m asking this because I?m interested in their P90?s.
PS; sound and tone is personal preference, but I would like to have your opinion.

Hmmm substantially better you say? I don't know, different for sure. Both the 58 set and the 59 set are magnificent. I like the 58 set best. I don't know how he does it but he manages to pack several characteristics into 1 pup I haven't found with others. They're all this; dynamic, warm, clear, glassy, balsy, round and have great break up.
can't say anything about the P90s btw.

Emiel said:
jacco said:

Interesting you mention that Faber can improve or worsen the guitar's sound, the latter definitely happened with my ex-Gibbo. I'm quite happy with the Faber on my Tokai (though I noticed it is the old style locking bridge with not removable saddles so the intonation on the D string is a bit off).

In August/September I hope to live in Rotterdam: I think we should meet fairly soon after that ;)

Now where's the cash for some new pickups!!

Yes, it's about time we have a meeting. I would like to A/B our LS80s.

No, I think your readings are correct.
The other set of Zs I had were N - 7.90 and B - 7.94.
The one I kept seems to have a higher output bridge than most.
They still sounds low output to me.
The neck is actually alot louder than the bridge for some reason.
I have the bridge raised a bit to compensate for the volume output difference between the two...

jacco said:
triniloverock said:

Hmmm I will recheck both bridge pups again tonight. Maybe I made a mistake.
BTW I do have 1981 500k Fujigen pots lying around. If I choose not to use them on my EG800, you can have them if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back