Tokai USG 50S is it any good?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob_dad

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a noob, non-guitar playing dad of a 13 yr old who kind of has his heart set on a USG50S currently on sale in a glasgow store. He's only been playing for about 18 months. He's looking for a step up from the Westfield SG he has just now, and is looking to spend about ?250.

He tried out the USG50S in the shop and really liked it (especially the thick tone from the 3 pickups and the thinner neck). he doesn't like Les Pauls (too heavy and angular(!)) and isn't keen on strats, nor other "crazy" shapes, so probably an SG is what he'll go with.

So I started researching all round this here interweb and find lots of conflicting information, most of which goes like "Tokais were much better before, the build quality has taken a dive since they are made in China", but then you get the "you could do worse things with your money and all things considered, they are decent guitars" type comments. And amongst all of that, there is very little info about the 50S, or certainly no reviews of note.

A few questions, then...bearing in mind that he wants a new guitar, not a 2nd hand one.

Anyone here got one? If so, any advice you can give vis-a-vis buying one? Is it any good?

is the 5 yr warranty of any worth?

Aside from all of this, we're going shopping again at the weekend and I'll get him to try out as many other guitars so he can do a useful comparison, but if anyone has any comments about the 50S, please do tell!

Thanks, Al

Hi Al. Can't really comment on that particular guitar, or the Westfield, but something to bear in mind here is that yes, you can expect the build quality to be lower on the MiC models than it is on the MiJ Tokais. To a large extent, however, that's because they're also the cheaper models, rather than because the manufacturing is inherently worse or problematic. (In ten or twenty years, when China's luthiers have some serious experience under their belts, they'll also be turning out some stunning high end guitars.)

For now, though, what it really comes down to is the strength of the quality control department. I've no personal experience here, since all of my Tokais are MiJ, but I'm sure that Tokai's QC would be pretty good.

Sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing by your son, and I doubt that you need to worry about him wasting his/your money. If you've got any guitar playing friends it might be an idea to let your son's preferences guide the way, and then get the friend to look over his chosen instrument ??just to check that there aren't any serious faults with that particular guitar. Your son wouldn't necessarily be able to spot them all just yet.

Hi Noob,

I don't have any experience with that guitar either but I do own a Chinese model ALS-43 love rock as well as 2 made in Japan Tokai. I bought the ALS-43 after playing it in the store I was just browsing in because I found it better than the Epiphone LP Studio I owned at the time, which I had for a few years. Now don't get me wrong their are some flaws in the MIC models but they arn't that critical, such as some will have a build up of the clear finnish along where the fret-board runs along the body down to the pick-up,(don't have this problem on mine, just 1 small lump) but you should not have this problem on an SG style guitar anyway, the other thing I found was that the tuning machine heads were not real good so I changed them for Gotoh sd-90's that only cost around $50AU and easy to install. And I did change the plastic nut for a tusq nut but that was a personal preference. other than that I have no gripes with the guitar, the build quality is rather good it's playability is better than the Epi lp studio that I sold to help finance the MIJ LS-125F I now own as well. Make sure you have a good look at the guitar and if possible have someone that knows guitars with you so they can play it and let you know if you are getting value for the money you will pay, of course If you bought a Japanese model you don't even have to see it before you buy it to know you'll get value for money :wink:

I have that particular SG model and for the price...it's a really good guitar.
The body is usually Nato which is supposedly and Asian derivative of Mahogany...the pickups are still GOTOH...tuners are decent and tend not to slip...the weight is pretty faithful to the Gibson SG's...not too heavy but not that light that it feels cheap and nasty...tone and playabilty are very good...all in all...the best reproduction of an SG at this price point that you'll find.
Go for it I say.

I know you said he doesn't want a LS model, but there's a Made in Korea, what I think is an ALS48(?), on Glasgow Gumtree at the moment.
http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/68/52168768.html

I'm not that familiar with prices for these models. Maybe someone can pitch in and let you know if it's a good price, if he's interested.

BTW, I got him to send me some pictures, as he originally had it listed without any, and it's definitely Made in Korea.

noob_dad said:
A few questions, then...bearing in mind that he wants a new guitar, not a 2nd hand one.

It would help your son a lot if you can get him out of that "it must be new" mentality that affects some young people. There's no shame in buying secondhand, especially guitars. My favourite guitars were all bought secondhand, from people who were unwise enough to sell them. And you get a lot more for your money too .

:wink:

Ta for all your useful advice, this is a nice forum, giving a balanced view of pros and cons. More messages welcome, the more the merrier.

If the USG50s is on the money then go for it but like others have said you'll get so much more for your money secondhand.

I got a MIJ SG with case for ?340

Back