Tokai Tele TE-70

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaze

Reaction score
Just bought a Tokai Tele at Ebay and can't wait until she arrives... It has a one piece ash body with double binding, a compensated bridge with 6 saddles, a maple neck and a headstock which has the Spaghetti logo on it and a "round" stringtree. Serial is 1018224 and it has a "70" sticher on the back of the neck. I guess, the Tele was made in 1981/1982, but maybe somebody knows exactly. I was wondering about the 7 digit serial.
Pics will follow as soon as the Tele arrives.

Nice, but I wonder why they put a maple neck on a bound body? Tokais are usually faithful copies, but Fender only ever put rosewood board necks on bound Tele bodies. I'm afraid it looks wrong to me for that reason.

What is the bridge pickup? And are you sure that's ash? It looks like alder or basswood to me.

Hi! There are several Tokai Teles with double binding and maple neck on the market, don't know why. I don't care if it's a complete copy or not as long as it sounds great. Seller says it's ash. The pickups are now a Fender Noiseless in the neck position and a Dimarzio Fast Track II in the bridge position. I will get the original Tokai Pups, too, and I think, the Dimarzio will have to go...

Andy Summer's of The Police has a '61 Maple Necked Double Bound 3 Colour Sunburst Tele and Fender are making relic copies of them now.

Stunning Breezysound there Kaze, I like it a lot !

Change the Pickups to Leosounds, Mudcats - Superb value and Tone

Thanks! I've got a Tokai Tele with Mudcats, which is an export model; don't know how old. But it sounds great, I really like the neck pickup. After installing a Callaham bridge with compensated saddles it's brilliant!
I will compare this one and the new one. Hope, none of them has to leave due to financial crisis......... :-? The Tele is my favorite guitar, don't want a Love Rock yet... :wink:

Hi Kaze!

Your 'new' TE70 looks very simliar to the one I got from Mark. Does it have a V-neck and "broad" grain?

Cheers!
Rupert

Hi, thanks to all of you!! :D
I will take pics when it arrives from Belgium, will take some days, 'cause I still wait for the shipping costs and will then do a bank transfer.

that is one sweet Tele, congrats :)

as far as the maple & bound body combo, I'm sure there are a few original Fender Teles with the same combination, and are likely more valuable because of their rarity

Nice catch :wink:

Thanks, thanks! I'm very, very happy now that you all like it, I know, I have to like it, but it's good to see that it was a good buy. My mood is even better now... :D Hopefully, the seller will let me know today about the UPS shipping price, so I can pay for the beauty! Well, my parents will kill me, 'cause I still have to pay for my car and the Tele will arrive in Berlin where I will be on holidays from Sunday on. So no chance to hide the new one... :wink:

I've had a look through the Duchossoir reference book on the Telecaster, & I can't see any reference to Custom Teles (the ones with the binding) with maple boards. It does say:

"It would appear however that the rosewood board neck was initially conceived as an integral part of the "custom treatment" before the decision was taken to extend this new trim to the entire range of electrics"

The new Customs were usually made out of alder rather than ash. I get the impression that any maple board Custom Teles made pre 1965 must have been special orders.

With regard to pickups, I can recommend the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pickup. I have one on my mid/late 80's Fender Japan 62 RI Custom Tele (though Fender Japan didn't bother with the "Custom" bit of the decal, unlike the later US reissues). I find it hard to describe pickups, but it has more guts than the original Fender pickup, maybe a bit more body and mid range to the sound as well as a higher output (7.9k compared to 6.2K). The SD website says "Compared to the Vintage ?54, this pickup has slightly more output and more snarl in the mids", which seems like a good description. Very impressive pickup. I haven't tried the neck version as I have 2 Kent Armstrong Strat pickups in the middle & neck positions

Hope this helps.

Thanks! There seem to be many Tele players who like the Broadcaster (TDRI), maybe I'll try it. But what about the stock ones?

looks a bit like my new tele:

n731795377_110580_1780.jpg
[/img]

Well, just a bit. Different bridge and 3-piece body, maybe different headstock? Looks like a newer one. But nice, anyway.
And hey, this kid already likes to rock!! :wink:

yeah it is a bit of a weird mix.

I bought it from a shop in Stony Stratford (south UK)

I really dony know anything about it other than it is a genuine MIJ breezy, and its new!

Latest posts

Back