Tokai TE50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junghans

Reaction score
Somewhere around '91 i bought this Tokai. Have played it for several years in bands. Last 10 years it hasn't been used a lot. And guess what, now with the internet this thing is like a collectors item. I think it's a reasonably rare '81-'82 TE50. It is in very good state with only some minor dents. What do you think?

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/junghans62/

I have played on several Fender Telecasters and they were all not necessarily better. Own a Fender Highway 1 Tele in addition to this one. The neck pu on the Tokai is the most used. The bridge on the Tokai is almost too bright. But the Tokai has the real Tele-twang, which the Highway 1 has less. Both of the Highway 1 pickups are more useable though especially under distortion. Have had several Tele-players be surprised at the sound and playability of the Tokai.

junghans said:
Somewhere around '91 i bought this Tokai. Have played it for several years in bands. Last 10 years it hasn't been used a lot. And guess what, now with the internet this thing is like a collectors item. I think it's a reasonably rare '81-'82 TE50. It is in very good state with only some minor dents. What do you think?

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/junghans62/

I have played on several Fender Telecasters and they were all not necessarily better. Own a Fender Highway 1 Tele in addition to this one. The neck pu on the Tokai is the most used. The bridge on the Tokai is almost too bright. But the Tokai has the real Tele-twang, which the Highway 1 has less. Both of the Highway 1 pickups are more useable though especially under distortion. Have had several Tele-players be surprised at the sound and playability of the Tokai.

Welcome and nice Breezy. Cool color with that rosewood board. Rare? Not really but the finish is not one seen very often. As for it's worth, it's a lower end model denoted by the number after the TE. In your case 50. Higher end models carried numbers such as 70, 80 and so forth (those numbers indicated the selling price in yen at that time with 50 = 50,000 yen in 81 or 82). Simple answer is that any guitar is only worth what someone will pay for it when you sell it.

Nonetheless, it's a keeper in my book. I have one like it but in the standard 52 natural finish with a maple board.

Actually, marcusnieman, i'm not sure about the 50. How could i tell whether it's 50, 60 or 70? I bought it second-hand aound '91 for what would now be 180 euro's or 260 USD.

junghans said:
Actually, marcusnieman, i'm not sure about the 50. How could i tell whether it's 50, 60 or 70? I bought it second-hand aound '91 for what would now be 180 euro's or 260 USD.

Normally, there is a sticker at the base of the neck or a number stamped on the last fret of the fretboard. Beyond that, there may be other identifying marks and numbers on the heel of the neck, neck pocket, pickup cavities, etc..........if you can disassemble it and send photos of those markings next time you change the strings, some of the guys on the board can help you identitfy it.

As for the price....nice! I don't care if it's a 50, 70 or whatever, you paid a great price for what you have. Nice guitar.

Just to add my two grains of salt:

the colour is very rare for an 80/81 (I've never seen it before). The body appears to be 3-piece, which would make her an TE50. Pics at 45 degrees against the light please?

Tuners are spot-on for > 82. Nut looks like the real McCoy. Headstock-decal a bit out of "phase", this happened. Neckplate was changed IMHO (delta to screws is not consistent). Pickguard looks like 84.

Interesting Breezy, but not an 80/81 in my books.

Cheers! Rup

It's definitely a 1982 TE-50, I recently sold an identical 1982 Breezy (yes, even the same color!). Only the TE-50 and later the TTE-50/55 had the six saddle bridge, the more expensive models had three saddles like the original 50's and 60's teles. The neck plate is definitely original, mine also had the Fender 60's type serial number Lxxxxx and was identical in shape. The pickguard also seems to be identical to mine.

Since tele's not my thing I sold mine to be able to buy a 1982 Springy Sound strat instead. It was a very nice guitar though, much better than the 1964 Fender tele I once owned.

Mike

Thankx for the info guys. I think the previous owner messed around with the neck. You can see some screwdriver traces on the platescrews. Also the neckpickupcover was dented a bit by careless attempt to adjust the neckrod. Minor but a bit annoying. You can see it by the reflection on the neck pickup.
All in all its in pretty good shape. It would probably sell for more than my 2007 Fender Highway One Telecaster, which i bought in Las Vegas last december.

Back