Tokai Strats - Difference Between AST & TST Models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgehrig4

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and I'm already going to bother you with a few questions :wink:

You would think it would be easy to find this out, but it's not. What are the differences between the AST models and TST models? They both seem to replicate the same years (56' & 62')

Also, I have my eye on the following models
1984 TST-55
1984 TST-56
1985 AST-62
Which is considered the best or most sought after of the three?

Lastly, what it considered the best Tokai strat model out there? Model and year please?

thanks!
Jeff

it stands for the country they were to be marketed in. The ASTs were for america (america strat) and the TSTs were for Japan (tokyo strat, as I understand). Otherwise they are identical.

Best Tokai strat ever would probably have to be a pre-1983 ST-80 or ST-100 Springy Sound. ST-100 is technically top of the line but in my experience they are vanishingly rare. They have gold hardware and a swamp ash body, otherwise they're identical to the ST-80, which has nickel hardware and a Sen Ash body. Both have nitro finish. I have an '80 or '81 ST-80 and it rules hardcore. Good luck.

The TST's are a closer replica to the Fenders as the AST's have the revised headstock.

The change in headstock detail was required to prevent a copyright enfringement lawsuit.

Both AST & TST's sound great ! :D

The numbers used in the AST's refer to the Fender model that they are trying to replicate - AST-62 = Fender 1962. Whereas the number after the ST on Springysounds refers to the list price of the guitar in Yen

ST-80 = 80,0000 yen etc.

So the older the guitar and the higher to number then the higher the quality of the components used the make it.

Look through the old catologues on the registry and you will see ST-120's
I've never seen one - Ultra Rare :p

As a general 'rule of thumb' a Springysound is more desireable than the Goldstar Sound Strat. Only because the headstock decal is extremely similar to Fender. Hence why ebay has so many replacement "7okai Springysound" decals !!!! :eek:

I had a TST-56 with the revised headstock. I still contend that there is no difference between these guitars.

Thanks guys! I'm getting an ulcer trying to decide on one :(

My initial intentions were to get a 60's reissue with rosewood fretboard. I found a nice MIM brand new for $519, but the Japanese versions caught my eye while looking. Upon further research my preferences slowly swayed over to the Japanese. First I found out about the JV Squiers and just when I thought it was over the Tokais came into the picture.

Now I'm scouring for every bit of info I can on these. Thanks god found this site!

Jeff

I'll provide my endorsement for the old Tokai springy sounds. I got rid of my American Fender to get it. I'm not really a strat player. I own several different guitars, but I try never to keep any that I don't need... I play for a living and don't have lots of extra money and am not in a position to collect. I had this American Standard Fender stratocaster... semi-pro level instrument at best in my mind, but hey I wasn't a strat guy anyway so it filled the bill on studio dates and stuff where I really needed a strat. It was my first "serious" guitar (had an epiphone before that) at age 14, otherwise I never would've 'gone there' with a new Fender. I just always hung onto it because I needed a strat of some kind and didn't want to pay vintage prices for a 'real' one. I have a 1962 Fender Jazzmaster that I love and actually is quite versatile, that and an early 1980s G&L ASAT had the Fender-style thing somewhat covered anyhow.

Well, I started getting the feeling that I needed a more 'pro' level Strat earlier this year, and started contemplating dishing out the $1500+ for a 70's model (best I could afford I figured). Then I discovered the Tokais. Got a TST-56 for $400 and was totally convinced. Sold my American Strat. Then I discovered the ST-80 Springy Sound which actually played and sounded quite similar to the TST-56, but it has the nitro finish which ages better and the headstock shape is a little bit cooler looking (more fender-like).

I get nothing but compliments on the tone of this Tokai, and surprised looks when people look closely and see the name... I'd advise you to get one of these before they get more well-known and the prices really skyrocket. There was already an article in Vintage Guitar magazine... the time is ticking! I believe that these will get collectable (like anything good) so move fast before the collector's market spoils our fun yet again!

Hey Brad,

You might also consider the Silver Star Strat replicas. I have four of them (got them dirt cheap when I actually had some money) and they are really good Strats. The pickups are very, very good (not quite as dandy as I feel the Van Zandt Blues are, but impressive nonetheless) and the Silver Star bodies are the exact same wood used in the Springy series. The only downside is that Tokai used nitro only on SS60 and above models. The other factor is that they are three-bolt, which makes them unattractive to collectors. But these three-bolts are done right, with very little shift, especially if you screw them down tight with some Krazy Glue in the bolt threads. I don't give a rat's about collectability, but I do care about quality and playablility, so you might wanna check one of these out.

Also, I am a confirmed Stratguy, but I recently picked up a Tokai Les Paul Reborn to see what all the fuss is about, and I can tell you that they are awesome, even to single coil freeks such as myself. The plaintop LS50s and LS60s, with the Gotoh PAFS, are uncannily like the real LPs. I had Bruce Alsop, a first-rate luthier, refret one and he doesn't want to give it back. :eek: He said it's the best neck pickup sound he has ever heard.

Take care and good luck in your playing career!

hopjohnskins, Thanks for the tip, but for now I'm pretty happy with my ST-80 Springy Sound. As I'm not a Strat player really I'm not looking to acquire more than one. For our friend here who started this thread, however, your advice might be useful. I'd advise him to stay away from the lower Silver Stars with the cast bridges though.

Could anyone tell me if a 1984 TST55 Goldstar has a nitro or poly finish? I have a copy of the 1985 Tokai catalogue, but it doesn't mention finishes.

Thanks,

Mike

Poly.
Nnitro was not available on Goldstars.
Nitro was available only on the ST80/100/120 of the Springy Sound series

Hi If you are interested I am selling an '80 ST-80 in Sunburst and an '81 ST-50 in Vintage white. The ST-50 is Poly (as togps just wrote), the ST-80 is nitro. Also the ST-50 has a D-neck, the ST-80 has a V-neck.

Cheers. Rupert

Hi guys,
just a quick sorting here...
ST models are Japan only
TST models are export models from 1981 - including U.S.
AST models are U.S. models from 1984 onwards
US models are noticable by the altered headstock and the actual year being replicated - TST-56 & AST-56 : TST-62 and AST-62.
Build specs for the US models did differ slightly to other export models but the major componants like body and neck were the same for all ST/TST/AST guitars, and they were all Made in Japan.

regards
Peter Mac

rgrafend said:
Hi If you are interested I am selling an '80 ST-80 in Sunburst and an '81 ST-50 in Vintage white. The ST-50 is Poly (as togps just wrote), the ST-80 is nitro. Also the ST-50 has a D-neck, the ST-80 has a V-neck.

Cheers. Rupert

Hmmm, interesting? Do you have any pics of these babies? And what prices were you thinking of?

Mike

Latest posts

Back