Tokai sc pups ID plz

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaddy

Reaction score
Described as below but all those references are confusing and even seemingly contradictory so please, could one of you Tokologists help me fathom what they are and their merits, or not, in the heirarchy of transducers? ta. Truth is, I need to know asap.
I need them to replace Seymour Duncans in a Gold Star Sound

piccys http://www.flickr.com/photos/90807008@N02/

Tokai Goldstar / Silver Star Strat pickups and electrics - SS / TST 60

1980s Tokai pickups and electrics - taken from Goldstar Sound TST65

I have just removed these from a TST65, which I bought to use as a donor for a Jimmie Vaughan relic. These parts are now not needed and, as I don't know if they came with the guitar originally, they are not much use to me. Apart

from the pickups, the parts here are the same found in my TST 50 and much sought after TST 80 - they comprise:

3 x single coil pickups (alnico magnets, non-staggered) - black plastic bobbin / not stamped. I have added rubber grommets to these, but the original springs come with them too. The screws are good, nickel plated and countersunk ones.

these factors suggest quality parts, but I cannot be sure of the make?
Original Tokai switch - high quality part, stamped '381', and is commonly found in the higher end Tokais. this feels like a 3-way that can be notched into the 5 positions.
3 x full-size Japanese potentiometers - presumably 250k.
Original 'Orange drop' capacitor (based on 60s 'round' Sprague units, as found in the 80s Tokais)

I saw these on e bay and didn`t buy.The pickups are NOT , no matter what the seller says Tokai pickups.Neither are they the infamous Di marzios fitted to high end Tokais.As for the pots and pickup switch theycould be from a Tokai but it`s hard to tell from the photos.The pickups look a bit like Mexicans, in any case they will be inferior to your Duncans.Gabe..

Thanks BJN.
I had my suspicions.
What Mexicans do you refer to?
Would they be equivalent quality to the original pups from Tokai I have?

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back