Tokai or Fender?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcha

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just found this great forum and this my first post.

I?m the proud owner of a beautiful 85 flame top Love Rock, which I?ve had for over 15 years. I plan to post some pics soon in the hope you guys can help me learn more about it. I first fell in love with it when it was reviewed in issue 2 of Guitarist magazine in 1984 (which I've still got!) Didn't get mine until 89 but I won't be parted from it now.

Haven?t played much at all over the last few years but a recent family Xmas concert prompted me to dust it off for the first time in ages. Bought myself a Pod XT Live and a little amp and have been reminded just how much fun it used to be when I was a kid.

So now I?m getting back into it, I thinking of getting myself that Strat I always wanted. I'd always planned to get a Fender but after chatting to a friend recently who prefers his 84 Tokai over his two USA Fenders, I?m now in two minds. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy Tokai again.

I?ve been watching a few eBay auctions for used Fenders but for the same sort of money I?ve seen a new Goldstar for ?399 or an ST50 for ?299(no case). Do these sound like reasonable prices? Is there a significant difference between the two Tokais? Can anyone suggest anywhere besides eBay that still stock the Strat replicas and are good to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers, Simon

I'd go Tokai (Springy or older Goldstar - even a Silverstar is a good choice for a 70's model strat), Bacchus or Edwards against most modern day Fender Strats - except for the custom shop models.

But jumping ship for a minute, while I have several Tokai Strats that are superb instruments, I haven't picked up a guitar that holds a candle to my 65 Strat - there's just no comparison to the real thing - something to be said for old, aged wood and well broken in electronics - made in an era when Fender quality was what made them a legend.

Both AST-56 and SilverStar SS-36 had a really funky sound,great for chording.If you read an old ('85/'86) Tokai ad where Neil from Chick says that and it?s true. Tokais are good strat guitars....

Definetely go for the ST-50 rather than a new one. ?299 is a good price for the UK, you could pick one up for less from Japan but put shipping & duty on top of that and it will be more like ?400.

You won't be dissapointed with the ST-50, great guitar!

Depending on the Fender.. there are some fenders out there that are really very very very good. And if you climb up the "money scale" (custom shops.. masterbuilts) you will find some dream guitars :wink:

Of course I am not talking about the Squier models or the Made In Mexico ones (even if the new 60?s classic player seems to be great bang for the buck).

Or you could buy a "Fender crafted in Japan"... there?s a chance you will be getting a "Fender made in Tokai" :D .. so you?ll end with the best of both worlds :wink:

The made in Japan strats can be a great guitar for the money. I have had a few and got them for under $500.00 U.S. They build them like Fender used to in most cases, allthough I have an excellent 2004 American made strat that I paid $800.00 for used and it is one of the best Strats I have ever played. I too had a long break in my guitar playing. started playing
about 5 years ago and I love. I'll be 52 in April and plan to go back into the studio again. The Kids are still listening to Rock from my favorites like Page and Santana and all the great Masters.

Mark

Get yourself a highend Fender Japan strat, absolutely fabulous these are,
made by Tokai, nitro finished, US parts. I've owned lots of Fenders but this is the best one till now,
here's mine:

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=29641

here's the links to Fender Japan Pages:

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2006fender/strat/st54120dmc.htm

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2006fender/strat/st57105dmc.htm

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2006fender/strat/st62105dmc.htm

You can buy Fender Japan at Ishibashi Music.

Cheers, :D

Dennis.

I?m waiting for a Fender crafted in Japan to arrive... a ST62-105DMC... :wink:

it seems to be on the same league as the Fender vintage reissues... for half the price.

Nitro finish...
USA hardware and electronics
DiMarzio classical vintage pickups
2 piece alder

:wink:

BTW wildebassman... how are the Dimarzios? I never heard these since they are made specifically for these strats... so I?m a bit curious about them...

Alpedra, I actually love the Dimarzio pickups, very nice vintage sound,
IMHO beter than the CS'54's, that I have in my other strat.
You ordered exactly the same one I have, very, very nice guitars,
give the Nitro some time to really harden out, it will loose it's stickyness on the neck within a few months. :D

Cheers,

Dennis.

Do these high-end Fender Japan's definetely have a nito finish? I can't see any reference to this on the fenderjapan site.

The ST54-120DMC, ST57-105DMC and ST62-105DMC have nitro... body and neck.

I received my ST62-105DMC last week.. and.. it?s way better than my fender american standard strat.. I bought the japanese fender to be my number 2 strat.. but quickly it became my number one. Everything came out perfect 8)

Latest posts

Back