Tokai MK2 pickups - different types?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyFriendly

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have two Tokais (a 2004 LS-200 and a 2004 SG 85) which both supposedly come with the MK2 pickups. However, when I was changing strings recently I had a closer look at each set of pickups. The ones in the LS200 looked different to the SG-85s in that they didn't have any markings on a plain neutral/silver back, and they had metal braided wires. The ones in the SG 85 had the LP-F/R (I think) markings on the back, and said 'Gotoh' on them, but had normal plastic wires. So, I suppose the question is, if they are the same pickup, why the big difference in appearance (and possbily sound?) i havent had a chance to take a mulitmeter reading to see if they are different strengths. Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am a little in the dark. Also, if I where to sell a set roughly how much should I be asking for?

JonnyFriendly said:
Hello all,

I have two Tokais (a 2004 LS-200 and a 2004 SG 85) which both supposedly come with the MK2 pickups. However, when I was changing strings recently I had a closer look at each set of pickups. The ones in the LS200 looked different to the SG-85s in that they didn't have any markings on a plain neutral/silver back, and they had metal braided wires. The ones in the SG 85 had the LP-F/R (I think) markings on the back, and said 'Gotoh' on them, but had normal plastic wires. So, I suppose the question is, if they are the same pickup, why the big difference in appearance (and possbily sound?) i havent had a chance to take a mulitmeter reading to see if they are different strengths. Any help on this would be much appreciated as I am a little in the dark. Also, if I where to sell a set roughly how much should I be asking for?

Thumb rule is that the resistance of mk2 bridge pickup is about 8ohm when it is made by Gotoh and about 11-12ohm if it is made by Keiyo. And they sure sound very different but I am pretty sure that so does your guitars. However, I would be surprised if a LS-200 had Keiyos(?)

Pair of Mk2s goes for about 40-50 dollars in ebay.

Your LS200 metal braided mk2 pickup look like keiyo, which are 7.5 Kohm neck, 11.5 kohm bridge, I own 3 sets of them.
I also own Gotoh mk2, with green and yellow plastic wires. One set: both pu are around 8 kohm, coming from an LS75, the other set: both pu are around 14kohm, was coming from an SG
One is marked LP-F, the other one LP-A
Not talking about the 80's mk2 with metal braided wires, around 7.5 to 8 kohm

Latest posts

Back