Tokai custom edition - which year?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That type of pot is known as a year/month code pot.

The first digit is the year. In your case it is 1990 because that guitar was not made in 1980.

These pots with these datable codes disappear in 1992.

You may want to read this excellent post by Voidoid56:

Last edited:
That type of pot is known as a year/month code pot.

The first digit is the year. In your case it is 1990 because that guitar was not made in 1980.

These pots with these datable codes disappear in 1992.

You may want to read this excellent post by Voidoid56:
You asked me for stamps: Can you say something to thatone on the bottom of the headstock?

Attachments

• IMG20230808101259.jpg
    IMG20230808101259.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
This is very interesting. And difficult to explain.

I see these T and F stamps on Tokais during the period when they were making guitars for Fender. My understanding is that that period was roughly between 1992 and 2009.

Your pots date to 1990 as we said, so that creates some confusion.

It is possible that your guitar was actually made after 1990 I would guess.

It is also possible that they started doing those stamps earlier than I thought.

I’m not sure if there’s a way to solve this.

My best guess is that your guitar dates from 1990 or 1991. The pots were made before the guitar was made obviously. Usually it’s only a few months difference.

It is possible that Tokai started making guitars for Fender in 1991. In which case this guitar could be part of the overlap.

The reason that I am so noncommittal is that nobody knows what the truth is except for the folks at Tokai and they have not been talking.

I’ve had to piece all this history together myself from many different sources.

So there remains, and probably will remain for some time, an element of uncertainty.

Last edited:
The other odd thing is that with that code there is no number for the month.

Typically the first position before the - sign is a number for the month. The number after the dash sign probably refers to lots or orders.

Your code is T - 1.

Very very unusual.

Back