Tokai Breezysound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edwoodski said:
I've skimmed on this forum, and it has been suggested that silver stars were bottom of the line models?

Actually, early 70's Fender Strats were pretty much the bottom of the line. Why they command such prices now can only be attributed to a lack of collective memory.

The Tokai SS's are what the Fender large headstocks should have been..

BlueThird said:
There are other clues that might help get you towards something at least slightly more definite. Any indication what pickups you've got? Chrome versus nickel plating on the metalwork can offer some help, though it's obviously not the easiest one to work with. Bridges, too. 'Final Prospec' says something, but you'll need someone else to tell you exactly what it is. Mike?

The thing to remember in all of this ? or one of the things ??is that details that can't be changed as easily are more reliable. Like wood. With the number of pieces used for the body, the easiest place to spot a join is generally going to be in the pickup cavities (since at the very least there's less finish there). If it's a two-piece body there would be a seam straight down the middle. If you're sure there isn't one there, then it's going to be either a one or three piece back. You can try looking across the back (under as many different light sources as possible) to see if there are any dead straight lines where you might expect there to be a seam, but Tokai joins aren't always easy to spot. It's the sort of thing where if you see one, you'll know. But if you don't, well?

I have a close look, and there doesnt seem to be any joins. But like you say, it's quite possible ive missed it.

Mick51 said:
edwoodski said:
I've skimmed on this forum, and it has been suggested that silver stars were bottom of the line models?

Actually, early 70's Fender Strats were pretty much the bottom of the line. Why they command such prices now can only be attributed to a lack of collective memory.

The Tokai SS's are what the Fender large headstocks should have been..

Mick, is there any particular Silver Star model that you'd recommend? Or any attributes i should look out for on my search for one?

edwoodski said:
The silver star featured looks very much like the one you own.

I've skimmed on this forum, and it has been suggested that silver stars were bottom of the line models? Im not a snob in that respect at all. Im a sucker for the large headstock, and i played a friends 75' strat and it plays like a dream, so i can only imagine what a Tokai SS plays like...

That's because the Silver Star I'm selling is the one in the article - as I mention in the advert! The article also neatly covers the allegation that Silver Stars were in some way inferior to Springys - it's not true. It really is worth taking the time to read Andrew's article properly....

As for 70s Strats, they were probably the worst guitars Fender ever made. I wouldn't give one of them room in my flat, never mind pay a high price for one. I would rather gig with a Silver Star than any 70s Fender Strat I've ever tried.

stratman323 said:
edwoodski said:
The silver star featured looks very much like the one you own.

I've skimmed on this forum, and it has been suggested that silver stars were bottom of the line models? Im not a snob in that respect at all. Im a sucker for the large headstock, and i played a friends 75' strat and it plays like a dream, so i can only imagine what a Tokai SS plays like...

That's because the Silver Star I'm selling is the one in the article - as I mention in the advert! The article also neatly covers the allegation that Silver Stars were in some way inferior to Springys - it's not true. It really is worth taking the time to read Andrew's article properly....

As for 70s Strats, they were probably the worst guitars Fender ever made. I wouldn't give one of them room in my flat, never mind pay a high price for one. I would rather gig with a Silver Star than any 70s Fender Strat I've ever tried.

Im not actually as silly I came across in that post....

Nothing silly in this thread. You should have a read of some posts by Tokai Joe, bless him.

I'm curious to know if that binding on your TTE has some bearing on the model number, as I find the various Breezysounds more mysterious than Springysounds/Goldstars.

Back